then (or is it when?) a man came to me,said "do you want to be free",and i said "so be"

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
sclatere

then (or is it when?) a man came to me,said "do you want to be free",and i said "so be"

Post by sclatere » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:51 am

hello all at namethathymn.com.i have a real puzzler here.it concerns a hymn that was sung by members of calvary chapel,and featured in a documentary in 1972.it is a real christian song,and it comes in at just over the 30 minute mark in the documentary.the documentary is called "jesus people the film",1972 on youtube.does anyone know the title and composer,and the group? i would be grateful for any help on this,kind regards,sclatere.
songinmyheart

Post by songinmyheart » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:49 am

Hi sclatere,
Thanks for the request. We love a good puzzle.
We're working on this and in the meanwhile
here are the lyrics recorded in the film and a link.

Jesus People 1972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjWUo1DLrfY
Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa starts at 30:31 mark

Then a man came to me and said do you wanna be free and I said show me
Said put your hand in mine and walk along this road; come with me
He said put your hand in mine and walk along this road; come with me
So I put my hand in his and walked along this road to Glory
So I put my hand in his and walked along this road to Glory
And He is the light and He gave me life and I praise Him
songinmyheart

Post by songinmyheart » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi sclatere,

I contacted a friend who knows a couple who went to Calvary Chapel in the 80s. This is what they said:

"Yes, this amazing worship band was before our time but we have seen old cassette tapes at the Calvary Chapel store
of Chuck Girard and his band I believe was named Parable.
We believe that's it but you might want to confirm this and call Steve Mays church (Calvary Chapel South Bay) or
Mike McIntosh's church (Horizon) or Oden Fong who played in the band, Mustard Seed Faith, during that year as well."
I will email Pastor Chuck Smith's daughter, Janette, since she's from that generation and see if she knows as well. "

I hope this helps. I will keep you posted as to any updates
Nancy
sclatere

Post by sclatere » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:49 pm

thankyou for the email.nancy.i was beginning to think that this topic had ended to be honest with you,but now there is a glimmer of hope and i do look forward to the final and accurate answer to this riddle.thanks for contacting a "was there" source for me,that was a lifter for me.kind regards,sclatere.
sclatere

Post by sclatere » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:23 pm

by "was there" source i mean janette,sorry if that seemed impersonal towards her,sclatere.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:15 am

Hi, I happened across this and it got me curious.

I think the suggestion of the band Parable is incorrect, as they became active in 1974 according to http://www.artistsinministry.com/parable/bio.html , and they also had at least one and later two female lead vocalists (see http://www.artistsinministry.com/parable/band.html). But the film was made in 1972, and the band in the film (see 32:35 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmUvnN3mtuc) is four guys. There is a closeup of the third guy in the lineup from 31:53 to 31:57.

(Also, note that Parable was not Chuck Girard's band; his band was Love Song.)

Sorry I don't have any positive leads, but maybe someone else does.
songinmyheart

Post by songinmyheart » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:20 am

Hi Curious
Every bit of information is positive and helpful
When researching I often run across information or a song that is a blessing
Thanks for this piece of the puzzle. I trust it will help Sciatere find their answer
Nancy
renaisrad

Re: then (or is it when?) a man came to me,said "do you want to be free",and i said "so be"

Post by renaisrad » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:34 am

Hello! I know its been a few years since you posted this question and I don't know if you've already found the band but i was also wondering who sang that song on the "Jesus movement" film on YouTube and I found them! The band name was "Joy". Here's a link of them. God bless✌🏼

https://youtu.be/wO8Zur377Gk
(If the link doesn't work copy and paste it into youtube😊)
renaisrad

Re: then (or is it when?) a man came to me,said "do you want to be free",and i said "so be"

Post by renaisrad » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:59 am

Hello! I know its been a few years since you posted this question and I don't know if you've already found the band but i was also wondering who sang that song on the "Jesus movement" film on YouTube and I found them! The band name was "Joy". Here's a link of them. Couldn't find much else on them besides that. God bless!✌🏼

https://youtu.be/wO8Zur377Gk
Fenu George

Post by Fenu George » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:44 pm

Thanks for the post :) I was so curious to find this song since i heard it and searched for a while, but finally so gracious. Recently I knew the history of jesus movement through pastor Chuck Smith, from his commentaries i read Calvary chapal. I started to dig more about it, it takes not long to watch jesus movement history in YouTube, and subjective songs has strike me, that insist me to find the the band and their songs, but sadly there details are not available more than this song. Any of you can bring up the their albums, i would be glad again. -Fenu, from India🇮🇳