Searching for lyrics - tune of "Now Is the Hour"

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
soloist

Post by soloist » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:55 pm

I am searching for the lyrics to at least 2 hymns that are sung to the tune of "Now Is the Hour". This tune was popular in the 50's.
savedbygrace

Post by savedbygrace » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:59 am

Dear soloist, I believe that I heard John Starnes singing a song to the tune of Now is the Hour. I don't know the name of the song he was singing but I will listen to my John Starnes cd's soon as see what I can find. Check back on Monday and hopefully I will have a name for you.
savedbygrace

Post by savedbygrace » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:23 am

soloist, The name of the song is "Cleanse Me" and it is on John Starnes CD "Let The Hallelujahs Roll"
Hope this is what you needed.

Search me O God and know my heart today
Try me O Savior and know my thoughts, I pray
See if there be some wicked way in me
And cleanse me from every sin and set me free.

Search me O God and know my heart today
Try me O Savior and know my thoughts, I pray
See if there be some wicked way in me
Cleanse me from every sin and set me free.
Cleanse me from every sin and set me free.
Minnie

Post by Minnie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:20 pm

I thought you might enjoy the story behind this song...

~Cleanse Me

He was a professor in the School of World Mission at Fuller Theological Seminary where he taught courses in the history of missions to career missionaries.

James Edwin Orr was born in 1912. His education includes earned doctorates from universities in Europe, Asia, Africa, and America, including the Doctor of Philosophy from Oxford University and the Ed. D. from U.C.L.A. in 1971.

In his many travels, Dr. Orr has visited a hundred and fifty countries, including the Soviet Union, and has been in two-thirds of the world's six hundred major cities.

Despite these numerous life-long accomplishments, J. Edwin Orr will no doubt be best remembered as author of a simple, revival hymn text-"Cleanse Me."

Dr. Orr recalls that he wrote the Cleanse Me text, in 1936, during an intense movement of the Holy Spirit at the Easter, revival convention in Ngaruawahia, New Zealand-

For some time prior to this Easter campaign, an attitude of unusual expectancy had been prevalent among these people. Prayer meetings spread throughout the city with much fervency, and intercession led to wide-spread confession and reconciliation among the believers. Great numbers of unconverted students professed faith in Christ. The next night was given over to exultant testimony, with singing such as one expects in heaven.

The revival news soon spread throughout all of New Zealand. Dr. Orr reports that as he was leaving New Zealand, four Aborigine girls approached and sang for him a beautiful Maori Song of Farewell.

Mr. Orr was so impressed with the beauty of this Polynesian melody that soon afterward he wrote new verses to the tune on the back of an envelope. The text was based on the familiar words of Scripture found in Psalm 139:23-24:

Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts; and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Further campaigns by Dr. Orr throughout Australia in the 1930s and later in nearly all of the English-speaking world, soon popularized this prayer hymn everywhere.

++++++++++

Search Me

(1) Search me, O God, and know my heart today;

Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray.

See if there be some wicked way in me;

Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.

(2) I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;

Fulfill Thy Word and make me pure within.

Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame;

Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.

(3) Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;

Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine.

Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;

I now surrender, Lord-in me abide.

(3) O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;

Send a revival, start the work in me.

Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;

For blessing now, O Lord, I humbly plead.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:38 pm

Another hymn sung to this melody is "Blest Are The Poor." I found the words on Google Hymn Search.
savedbygrace

Post by savedbygrace » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:40 am

Minnie, thanks for sharing the story behind the song and the additional verses.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:06 am

Hi,
...As a child I sang "Now Is The Hour" to this melody at the end of every school day. I'm now trying to find the lyrics to "now is the hour" as I can't really remember them. I haven't thought of that song in many a year.