Goin' Home

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:25 pm

Annie Haslam does a lovely version of Going Home on her first solo album "Annie in Wonderland"

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:26 am

I also stumbled upon this site in a search for the lyrics to "Goin' Home". I seem to recall in the pictorial book, "The Best Of Life Magazine", a picture of a man, crying, while playing GH on an accordian at FDR's funeral in Washington, DC. Also, the Czech Boys Choir, "Boni Pueri", sings it very well. Anyway, my contribution to a learning experince. Thanks to all.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:03 pm

Not heard it for a long time, but it was played and sung inchurch a few weeks ago. beautiful.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:34 am

The public radio show "Music from the Hearts of Space" had a beautiful version of this on synthesizer several years ago. Very minimalist and ethereal. Sorry that I can't remember the artist's name.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:50 pm

I agree with the person who applauded Paul Robeson's version. I have it on a few of my cd's and it is impressive and moving, the way he sang it. He did that with slightly different lyrics.
Toke van Goch,
Netherlands

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:14 pm

I'd never read the lyrics until seeing them above. Thanks Steve. My mom passed this year and wanted it played on the Bagpipes. Always been one of my favorites. Now I'm really glad she chose it.

If I can just put my 2 cents in here, Bryn Terfel sings a fairly good version as well.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:09 pm

Does anyone know if there is a recording of Jan Clayton singing Goin'Home [aside from the one in the movie?]

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:26 pm

I first heard this hymn in the movie Eleanor and Franklin. It was being played during the train trip for FDR's body returning to Warm Springs. I have loved it ever since. I requested that it be played at my mother's funeral but had never known the lyrics until today. Thank you so much.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:39 pm

This is played beautifully by the New York City Police Pipes and Drums...they play it at every funeral for a fellow officer. Available on their CD...which by the way supports their group.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:24 pm

Anyone know anything about William Arms Fisher? (beside that he was a student of Dvorak).