Goin' Home

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:08 pm

A Detroit journalist writer had this played at his funeral. Does anyone know his name. It escapes me. thank you.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:13 pm

A famous writer was driven to distraction by his neighbor who played this every day very loudly!
Kitty Kenya

Goin' Home

Post by Kitty Kenya » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi--Long time ago, I heard somewhat different lyrics to the Largo section of this piece, but have not been able to find them since. Some of the phrases include:

Silently, Silently, still thy Father calls

and

Lovingly, lovingly, life itself He gave

If anyone knows the rest of these wonderful lyrics with these words, I would really appreciate your posting them.

Thank you.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:10 pm

The music and words per-date Dvorak. When he was visiting here, the New World, he heard the folk song and incorporated into his Symphony from the New World.

BTW, there is a famous photo of an African-American accordianist playing this outdise the White House the day President Rooosevelt died.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:50 am

check out "Annie Haslam's " version of this song, makes your hair stand!

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:49 am

the greatest recording of this can be found on Utube. type in Lawrence
Tibbett. the great american baritone singing "going Home" you will not
be disappointed.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:15 am

This beautiful music was played today by a lone piper and a drummer at the closing procession of the funeral of Sgt. Ryan Russell, a Toronto, Canada policeman who was killed in the line of duty. It is haunting.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:08 am

My Mum died 12 March 1986. We had an old piano on our back verandah and although I couldn't play it properly I used to try to play by ear all my favourite songs. One day the tune of Goin Home came into my mind. I didn't know what song it was or that it was a hymn, I just knew that I loved it. I played it over and over on that old piano until I could play it without error. That beautiful music soothed my grieving heart as I so desperately loved and missed my Mum. I felt closer to Mum when I played that music. Then watching the TV drama Big Love last night, a scene depicted a funeral where MY SONG was sung by the mourners. My Music had words! I tried to catch some words from the song so I could google it and find out more. And here I am! I am Home! All these years later, I would like to believe that Mum sent me that tune, which I played, and now I have the words - they comfort me ... like a little message from Mum ... "I'm alright love, and so are you".

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Does anyone know of alternative lyrics to this song that begin "Carry On" - I sang this song at Baylor University in 1989 as part of a ceremony called Ring Out in which the senior women ceremoniously pass leadership to the junior women. I am now studying Dvorak with my children and would like to teach them this song.
thanks,
Dana

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:00 pm

I have just stumbled across this Hymn whilst searching for something appropriate for my mothers funeral next week.
I love the version by Mary Duff the Irish Country singer. It can be found on the "Voice of an Angel" CD