Goin' Home

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:19 pm

Hi,

I've been looking everywhere for this. It was played recently at my grandfathers funeral. Original music by Antonin Dvorak

Many thanks
steveliu
Site Admin

Goin' Home

Post by steveliu » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:01 pm

Hi Guest,

The hymn is "Going Home", set to the music of Dvorak's 9th Symphony, third movement.

Going home, going home,
I'm just going home.
Quiet-like, slip away-
I'll be going home.
It's not far, just close by;
Jesus is the Door;
Work all done, laid aside,
Fear and grief no more.
Friends are there, waiting now.
He is waiting, too.
See His smile! See His hand!
He will lead me through.

Morning Star lights the way;
Restless dream all done;
Shadows gone, break of day,
Life has just begun.
Every tear wiped away,
Pain and sickness gone;
Wide awake there with Him!
Peace goes on and on!
Going home, going home,
I'll be going home.
See the Light! See the Sun!
I'm just going home.

Words are by William Arms Fisher and Ken Bible. I found a link to some printed music here (copy and paste into your browser)

http://www.lnwhymns.com/products/hymns/15.htm

Hope it helps. God bless!
Steve

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:20 pm

Thank you so much Steve

When I read the words I really understood why this was chosen by my Grandad when he was arranging his funeral service. He was a gentleman and fought bravely and with dignity till the end of his illness. It is very typical that he chose something to comfort his family at this sad time.

Thank you again
Antoinette

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:33 am

Hi Antoinette,

Wow, what a blessing your Granddad left for you and your family.

I still remember before my mom passed on, she told me the same words. Even though her body was ravaged by cancer, she had such peace about her...she spoke of how she knew her job on earth was finished, and how far better is was to go back to be with the Lord. It sounds like your granddad had that same blessed assurance. Who knows, perhaps they are shaking hands right now as we speak ;)

Thanks so much for sharing...I think your granddad's choice of hymn for his funeral service may end up being a blessing not just to your family, but to me and others reading your message :)

God bless,
Steve

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:19 pm

Um...I'm pretty sure it's set to Largo from "From the New World" Symphony No. 9 op. 95 by Antonin Dvorak. That's movement No. 2, not No. 3. Just to let you know. ^-^

The sweetest English Horn solo in the world. Go oboes and english horns!

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:39 am

Who knows, perhaps they are shaking hands right now as we speak

What a nice thought! I'm sure they're both in good company so! Thanks for your help Steve. I admire and envy people who have faith in God, it seems to give them peace and reassurance in life, and death.

Take Care,
Antoinette

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:47 pm

Thnks so much for posting these lyrics.

I located the music for a member of my church who requested it for her anticipated funeral and the lyrics I found were from Dvorak's Hymn for healing.

These are the lyrics she is requesting.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:29 am

Steve,

I once heard a recording of a young lady with an angelic voice singing this song, (Going Home). Do you know who it could be? I want this song badly.
Teresa

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:36 pm

i used to sing this song at school before end of term.

it's so nice.

god bless

ben hudson
steveliu
Site Admin

Goin' Home

Post by steveliu » Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:43 pm

After reading Teresa's post, I thought I'd do a little digging on recordings. Unfortunately, I'm doubtful I found the one Teresa were looking for-but I did find some other very nice ones.

1) This CD contains a recording of a choir, accompanied by Katherine Goheen. Whether her voice fits the definition of 'angelic' I'm not sure, but hopefully it comes close :)

Link

For reference, here are some other famous recordings of this song:

2) Paul Robeson. Many call this *the* definitive recording. I agree, but perhaps I'm biased because Mr. Robeson was a fellow Rutgers guy ;)

Link

3) Lawrence Tibbett. Another timeless rendition.

Link

4) Another version by Archie Shepp

Link

5) Chor Leoni - A noted version by a Canadian men's choir:

Link

6) An instrumental version -

Link

7) Version by the BYU choirs:

Link

Of course, this list wouldn't be complete without mentioning Dvorak's Symphony #9: From the New World.

8) Here is what some could call the definitive recording, with George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra:

Link

Finally, you can find downloadable sheet music at SheetMusicPlus.Com.

SheetMusicPlus.Com

There's a pretty interesting story tying this song and the symphony. Some people believe (erroneously) that Dvorak based this melody on a spiritual called "Goin' Home". The truth is, Dvorak's music was certainly influenced by the classic African-American spirituals of the "New World", but it actually was the other way around. The song was written by William Arms Fisher, who happened to be a composition student of Antonin Dvorak who adapted the music from the Largo section of the symphony.

Anyway, just some trivia for your next trip to the water cooler :)