Goin' Home

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:59 am

my husband died last Sunday of Motor Neurone Disease.
As part of our farewell to him, we played the version featured on YouTube's website
google: "going home" dvorak
We adpted the words to suit the occasion, whilst watching over a hundred photos of him since his childhood.

Going home, going home, I'll be going home.
Quiet like, slip away, I'm just going home.

Its not far, just close by
Through an open door
To the light, shall I go ?
All is peaceful there
Work all done, no more cares
I'm just going home

Morning Star lights the way
Restless dreams all done
Shadows gone, break of day
Life has just begun
Every tear wiped away
Pain and sickness gone
His loved ones are gath'ring there
Now to welcome him.

Going home, going home, now he's going home.
cheers from Melbourne, Australia.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:10 am

Where's the Sheet music for this? I'm trying to play it on my oboe and I can't find it anywhere online!
die_to_live

Goin' Home

Post by die_to_live » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:26 am

have you tried www.musicnotes.com for sheet music

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:56 pm

I looked and no one so far has posted the version I love as sung by Jimmie Davis:
I don't recall all the words but it starts out like this;
"When I've left and said goodbye Oh, don't you worry,
for I'm just going home
Yes my Savior's outstretched arms are waiting for me,
Oh, yes, don't you worry I'm just going home.
I'll be up there in that mansion,
I shall walk on streets of pure gold."
If anyone has the lyrics to this version I would very much like a copy,

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:07 pm

This is also sung by the boys' choir Libera and can be viewed on youtube.
petie53

Goin' Home

Post by petie53 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:45 am

Going Home , I'm going home. There's nothing to hold me here. I caught a glimpse of that Heavenly home, Praise God I'm going home.

1. many times in my childhood as I traveled along, by night fall how dreary i'd be. Fathers arms would slip around me, so gently he'd say, My child, were going home.

2. now the twlight is fading and the day soon will end. I get homesick the farther I roam. But My Father has lead me each step of the way. Praise God, I'm going home.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:35 am

I can't believe I found this. Fisher married my great great aunt when he and Dvorak visited Iowa and my mom still gets royalties from this song. I hadn't tried for ten years to find out anything before this obviously.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:04 pm

One extremely beautiful version is sung by Kathleen Battle on her album "So many Stars" She interprets it in a way that makes you cry.

Heike from Germany

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:01 am

They were posted here a couple of years ago(!), but I'll post them again as a refresher. There is a lovely version of "Going Home" seen and heard in the 1948 film "The Snake Pit" (available on DVD), starring Olivia de Havilland, Mark Stevens, and Celeste Holm. De Havilland plays a young woman stricken with mental illness and is committed to a psychiatric hospital, and the storyline traces her treatment and harrowing stay at the hospital, and her eventual recovery and release. De Havilland was nominated for a "Best Actress" Oscar, but lost. It was one of the first major films to tackle the subject of mental illness and is sort of an early precursor to "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." In the film, a hospital patient (actress Jan Clayton, who would later star on TV in the first version [1954] of "Lassie," as Timmy's mother) starts to sing the song "Going Home" at a hospital dance, and the other inmates join in. It is especially poignant because all the patients are anxiously awaiting the day when they are well enough to be released ... even those who, you come to realize, will probably never be released. The scene in the movie always brings me to tears. Here are the lyrics as sung in the film (the same first verse, below, is repeated twice by Clayton as she sings it in the film):

Going home, going home - I'm a-going home.
Quiet-like, some still day - I'm just going home.

It's not far, just close by, through an open door.
Work all done, cares laid by, goin' to roam no more;

Mother's there, expecting me. Father's waiting, too.
Lots of folks gathered there; all the friends I knew ...
All the friends I knew.

(Final line, after the second repeat of the above):

Home ... home ...
I'm going home.
shimaly

Goin' Home

Post by shimaly » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:02 pm

i can't wait to get to my Heavenly home God has been so good to me we are in revival right now and it's like the 12 week God has been so good if you will please pray

God bless