Goin' Home

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:46 pm

This song is also know as largo, from the new world symphony. I can play it on piano.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:47 pm

The song was sung at Coretta Kings funeral. She died! :[

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:07 pm

Just wanted to let you know the tune of Goin Home is from the 2nd movement or Largo of Dvoraks 9th Symphony not the 3rd. I have been looking for these lyrics everywhere thanks!
allwitte

Goin' Home

Post by allwitte » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:18 pm

I just found out this morning that I have to sing Going Home at a funeral mass. The organist knows the melody but she did not have the words. Thanks so much for posting the words. I always try to accomodate the families at these services.

God bless and thanks again.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:04 pm

Firstly, thanks for your site. Have just been listening to a Harry Secombe version of Goin' Home which is really beautiful but unfortunately this must be the other version you spoke about. If I find a site with the words on I'll keep you all posted. Kathy, Western Australia

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:15 am

Some of you asked who William Arms Fisher was. He was born April 27 1861 in San Francisco and died December 18 1948 in Boston. He studied harmony, piano and organ with John Paul Morgan, contrapoint and fugue with Horatio W. Parker and composition with Dvorák. He was then employed in Boston in the music publishing house O. Ditson Co. from 1897-1937. He was also vice president of the Music Publisher's National Association. In a letter of January 22 1924 he wrote to Miss Mead: One day, when somebody put in front of me the Largo in a piano arrangement, I played it only for old times' sake. However, as I played, I heard in my mind words coming unbidden: "Goin' Home - I'am going home." I wrote them down and took my idea home. Obeying my inner impulse, I elaboreted it accordingly.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:10 pm

The beautiful ANGELIC voice is that of CHLOE, who is 17 years old and sings with CELTIC WOMAN. That's also the name of her CD with 'Going Home' on it, "CHLOE".

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:17 pm

Below are the original lyrics, which I prefer over
the ones posted above:

Going home. Going home. I'm a-going home.
Quiet-like some still day, I'm just going home.

It's not far, just close by, through an open door.
Work all done, cares laid by, Going to roam no more;

Mother's there expecting me, Father's waiting, too.
Lot's of folks gathered there. All the friends I knew.

2) Morning star lights the way, restless dream all done.
Shadows gone, break of day, real life just begun.

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;
Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.

Going home. Going home, I'm just going home.
It's not far, just close by, through an open door.

Goin' Home

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:21 pm

Hi, I'm a serving police officer with Strathclyde Police in Scotland. Going Home was played by the Strathclyde Police pipeband at my passing out parade. It was played as we marched from the parade square for the final time in slow time.
It's a realy moving peice played by the pipes and drums. Does anyone know where i can obtain a copy of a pipeband version.
steveliu
Site Admin

Goin' Home

Post by steveliu » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:37 am

Hi! Here are two I found.

Scottish Celtic Bagpipes

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards

Anyone know of others?

Thanks,
Steve