The Baker Woman

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
josepha

The Baker Woman

Post by josepha » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi. I've been chosen to select the hymns to be used for my school reunion thanksgiving mass. I wanted to select hymns we used to sing way back at school. One of them was called "The Baker Woman in her humble lodge" and I can only remember the first stanza and chorus, but I do remember it was quite long. Does anyone here know it and can give me these lyrics please? It would mean a lot to me and my school friends! Thanks!

The Baker Woman

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:12 am

omg i love this song! we always sing it, but i can never remember the words
bren9565

The Baker Woman

Post by bren9565 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:30 am

The Bakerwoman

The Bakerwoman in her humble lodge
received a grain of wheat from God.
For nine whole months the grain she stored Behold the handmaid of the Lord.
Make us the bread Mary Mary
we need to be fed.

The Bakerwoman took the road which led
to Bethlehem the house of bread.
To knead the bread she laboured through the night, and brought it forth about midnight.
Bake us the bread Mary, Mary
we need to be fed.

She baked the bread for thirty years
by the fire of her love and the salt of her tears, by the warmth of her heart so tender and bright, and the bread was golden brown and white.
Bring us the bread Mary, Mary we need to be fed.

After thirty years the bread was done.
It was taken to the town by her only son; the soft white bread to be given free to the hungry people of Galilee.
Give us the bread Mary, Mary we need to be fed.

For thirty coins the bread was sold,
and a thousand teeth so cold, so cold
tore it to pieces on a Friday at noon
when the sun turned black and red the moon.
Break us the bread Mary, Mary we need to be fed.

And when she saw the bread so white,
the living bread she had made at night,
devoured as wolves might devour a sheep, the bakerwoman began to weep.
Weep for the bread, Mary Mary,
Weep for the bread we need to be fed.

But the bakerwoman's only son
appeared to his friends when three days had run on the road which to Emmaus led, and there she knew him in the breaking of bread.
Lift up your head, Mary Mary.
Lift up your head for now we've been fed.

The Baker Woman

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:14 pm

hey can i get the audio of this song pls lemme know where can i get the audio for this song email;[email protected]
thanks

The Baker Woman

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:02 pm

I am looking for the cd for The Baker Woman. can you tell me where I can buy it?

The Baker Woman

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:09 am

hi i remember this hymn as a child which use to be sung and played on piano. as i am 50 now i searched on google, as it is not to be seen in the hymnals of today and so was thrilled to get the words as i still remember the tune.

The Baker Woman

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! I have loved this song so long and lost it for a while. Know the tune no problem. If only someone could trace the composer so we could figure out if it is still copyright?

But even the words are great thanks again!
B

The Baker Woman

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:31 pm

i used to sing this song in choir when i was little and all i remembered was the first part, thanks it brought back lots of church memories...

The Baker Woman

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:14 am

As I understand it, my church has been using this song every year for our retreat since 1982. So, I'm pretty sure that the copyright is long gone (I believe it's 10 years). I, too, am looking for the original author's name but haven't found it yet. We ended up recording our own version (just a raw recording). So, that is what I recommend to all. Good luck.

The Baker Woman

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Thank you for posting!