Daisies are our silver

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Daisies are our silver

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:14 pm

I recently read a story and the couple sang this hymn together. It was a lovely reminder of my childhood. X

Daisies are our silver

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:29 am

I had this Hymn at my wedding in 1979 ! My all time favourite and I intend to write it out and illustrate it to hang on the wall .

Daisies are our silver

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:35 pm

We never sang verses 3 or 4, and instead of speedwell in v6 we sang "rainbow".
Happy memories, and worth pondering anew.

Daisies are our silver

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:12 pm

Many happy memories of my Sunday School days.
How simple and innocent they sound to today's society and it's values.

Daisies are our silver

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:25 pm

This hymn plays in my head frequently from my primary school days in the 70's. I googled the first line in the hope of finding the other verses and I only sing verse one over and over in my mind so now can at least commit a couple more verses to memory. Very nostalgic, I played the recorder in school assemblies too and can still play this hymn without seeing the music! Lovely.

Daisies are our silver

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:05 pm

I am so happy to know that so many people love this charming hymn that l have remembered since my junior school and Sunday school in the 50's.
I honestly think l have tried to live up to the sentiments all my life and tried to instil the values in my children albeit not in any religious way.
p wadhams

Re: Daisies are our silver

Post by p wadhams » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:33 pm

This is truly amazing. The verse starting "Raindrops are our diamonds" sticks in my mind from primary school (in the mid 1950s) and comes to the fore
whenever I see raindrops on leaves. A lovely hymn. I had forgotten all the rest but thanks to Google and this site all is recovered. Thank you.
Humboles

Post by Humboles » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:32 pm

J(oyce) Anstruther, aka Jan Struther [1901-53], is remembered both for her novel Mrs. Miniver which won 6 Oscars as a film with Grier Garson in the eponymous role, and because she authored several hymns for children, including Lord of All Hopefulness, When a Knight Won His Spurs (my favourite), and this one, Daisies are Our Silver. She was apparently "warm and witty" and these uplifting songs to some extent belied the depression their author endured in her late forties. The hymns resulted from an approach by Canon Percy Dearmer of Westminster Abbey, who was Words Editor of the enlarged edition of "Songs of Praise" published in 1931 by OUP. She was both a church-goer and an agnostic, apparently, and died of the complications of breast cancer at only 53. ... Keith H.
victella

Post by victella » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:37 pm

Every year when the daisies and buttercups cover my lawn I recall the first couple of lines of this lovely children's hymn, learnt and sung at infant school way back at the end of the fifties. At church this morning a friend mentioned how pretty the same two flowers looked on the grave yard lawns and I mentioned the hymn, Neither she nor her husband, both in their seventies, recalled having heard it. I came home and googled it and you popped up. So, as we have a very up and coming parents' and toddlers group I've jotted down the words to give to our minister, in the hope we might be able to sing it too.
Thank you so much for being able to provide this information and assure me I hadn't dreamed it.
Gill

Post by Gill » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:18 pm

Thanks for the complete version.
Who wrote this hymn?