How deep the Fathers Love for us

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
Accentuate77

How deep the Fathers Love for us

Post by Accentuate77 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:57 am

I would like to sound out some of the doctrinal shortcomings in this hymn and indeed all the work of Stuart Townend including the much vaunted In Christ Alone. Is not this songwriter guilty of involving us with penal substitution at the expense of any other theology of the cross and producing very distorted understandings of the nature of God the Father and even ignoring the Trinity and the role of the Holy Spirit in salvation, Because of this I have come to the conclusion that I do not believe in this mans God nor do I share his peculiar vision of who is a member of the Church and how he may write and wax so lyrical about the empty tomb when someone as Christian and as eloquent as St Paul hardly ever mentions it but Townend seems to think that only his account and not the others in the Gospels is worth singing about. Ignorance is bliss in more ways than one hymn.