Can anyone remember the lyrics? My Lord, Lord (oh my Lord) be my shepherd

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:52 am

I am sure this is the same one that I have been looking for for years too!
Like others, I've not heard this since primary school, but it's so nice and stuck in my head.
Thank you for posting the words.
I have done a quick recording of the tune here: http://www.denmiller.com/LIMS.mp3
Is this the same tune?
If it is, I will try and write out the music (I can only do this very slowly!), unless someone has found it already?

Cheers
Den

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:06 am

im so happy!!!!!!! that is it :) i have been looking for this song for years !!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:04 am

Right, I will try and write out the music then.
Don't hold your breath - this will take me ages!!
I will post a link to a PDF or something when I'm done, probably in a few months

Cheers
Den

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:56 am

I've written out the music!! It's only from memory, but here it is:

http://www.denmiller.com/lims.pdf

Please email [email protected] with any corrections, or if you know the author, or where the official music can be found.

Cheers
Den

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:51 pm

Thank you thank you thank you, my mum sadly died just over a year ago and this was her fave song i use to sing, i searched everywere for it and you have made my day even though its to late to sing at her funeral i now can sing it when ever i think of her :) thank you so much

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:07 pm

omg I've been trying to find this song for ages! I love it so much and sang it in primary school aswell. Thankyou so much for posting it x

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:13 pm

This is "Brother James' Air" by James L Bain (1840-1925) There's a great choral arangement I remember singing in high school back in the 70's.
MusicNotes.Com has it.

The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want, He makes me down to lie
In pastures green, He leadeth me the quiet waters by;
He leadeth me, He leadeth me, the quiet waters by.
My soul He doth restore again, And me to walk doth make
Within the paths of blessedness, E'en for His own name's sake;
Within the paths of blessedness E'en for His own name's sake.
Yea, tho I walk through shadowed vale, yet will I fear no ill,
For Thou art with me and thy rod And staff me comfort still;
Thy rod and staff me comfort still, me comfort still.
My table thou hast furnished in presence of my foes.
My head with oil Thou dost annoint, And my cup overflows;
My head with oil Thou dost annoint, And my cup overflows.
Goodness and mercy all my days shall surely follow me,
And in my father's house always my dwelling place shall be;
And in my heart foreevermore Thy dwelling place shall be,
Thy dwelling place shall be.
Den Miller

Post by Den Miller » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Just to be clear - The Brother James Air, lovely as it is, is not the one we are trying to find.

Good news - someone has emailed me after I posted the version I wrote from memory, and it contains what looks like a genuine copy of the sheet music! Unfortunately, it still has no name and no author listed, but it looks the business!

It also has lots of handwritten annotations and cool doodles on it, so I don't want to post it. What I will do though, is produce another version using my software based on this new copy, and will post again when I've done this.

This may take a while, but for those who can't wait, looking at the new version I can say that my original version is fairly close.

Cheers
Den

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:17 pm

I am desperate to get hold of the sheet music for this as I want it played/sung at my wedding next year. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:03 pm

The Lord's My Shepherd (Crimond) - also sometimes called The 23rd Psalm (Crimond) - is probably what you're looking for.

The words and music were written separately, several centuries ago in the Anglican church of which my church, the Episcopal church, is a part. The original words (see below) which reformatted the 23rd psalm so that it rhymed first appeared in the 1650 Scottish Psalter. This rhyming version is called the 'metric version' of the psalm.

The tune, Crimond, is credited to Jessie Seymour Irving (1836 - 1883). Reportedly, the tune was named after the parish church and village where her father was a minister. The tune was not associated with the metric version of the 23rd psalm until years later. Although other music has been associated with the metric 23rd psalm, the most popular musical setting is the Crimond.

Perhaps the earliest and most widely-heard rendering of The 23rd Psalm (Crimond) was during the 1947 wedding of Princess (now Queen) Elizabeth. It was also heard widely during Princess Diana's funeral in 1997. I was a kid when I first heard it when Hayley Mills sang a verse of it in a movie whose title I no longer remember. The text was first published together with the Crimond tune in the 1950's in a Methodist hymnal. It is now in several protestant hymnals including ours in the Episcopal church and is popular for both weddings and funerals.

You can hear the text set to other music, as well as to the Crimond music, on YouTube. Also, a quick check on Google found several websites where you can get the sheet music (for a price). If you sift through the hit list for the sheet music you might find some place where you can get it for free. I just looked at the first dozen hits. Remember to look under both titles I included in the first sentence of this post. Good Luck!

The Lord's my Shepherd, I'll not want.
He makes me down to lie
In pastures green; He leadeth me
The quiet waters by.

My soul He doth restore again;
And me to walk doth make
Within the paths of righteousness,
Even for His own Name's sake.

Yea, though I walk in death's dark vale,
Yet will I fear no ill;
For Thou art with me; and Thy rod
And staff my comfort still.