Welsh childre's Hymn "Draw draw yn China"

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:13 am

I wrote to this page on the 14th January, I just wanted to say I took my 4 year old granddaughter to bed last Friday and I sang the song 5 times before she let me go back down stairs she lives it.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:35 pm

are you people actually kidding me?

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Big up to Guest (10 April 2016).
Are you people actually kidding me?!

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:50 am

Utterly outrageous hymn! Even worse, in primary school in Cardiff in the 1970s we corrupted it to:

Draw draw yn China a thiroedd Japan
Plant bach melynion sy'n byw;
Dim ond Suzukis a Hondas pobman
Neb i ddweud am Dduw.
Iesu cofia'r plant
Iesu cofia'r plant
Anfon genhadon ymhell dros y byd
Iesu cofia'r plant.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:14 pm

I just looked up this song- I never knew the translation being English with a welsh grandmother (I am 40!) My children now are learning through the welsh medium and I have tried to sing this song to them- I am sooo glad I found it. I too loved being sung this song as an infant and always takes me back to an innocent time.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:43 pm

I remember singing this regularly in primary school Aberystwyth and like most other contributors here, loving it. I never realised just how un PC it was then but it's of it's time and just because we still remember the words it doesn't mean we necessarily subscribe to the sentiments expressed. Draw draw yn Iran? .... well perhaps that's taking it a little too far.

wel yn wir dyna beth syn
oen bach du a'i fam yn wyn!

Any comments?

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:07 pm

We sing this song in Bessie's gwaun Valley every hen galan, I remember it being sang from as young as eight years old there, I'm now twenty three and were still singing it at nearly the end of the night
Selfelin

Re: Welsh childre's Hymn "Draw draw yn China"

Post by Selfelin » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Afiach!!!! Y Cymry yn arddangos tybiaethau imperialaidd!!! Codi pwys arnai. Nhw a'u duw....dim yn waeth na'r prydeinwyr yn meddwl mae y ni wr orau!!!
Selfelin

Post by Selfelin » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Reading the comments......People are actually STILL singing this :o
NEJ

Post by NEJ » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 pm

I sang this in the 1950s at Coed-y-Brain Junior School in Llanbradach though we struggled with some of the Welsh words! It has remained in my memory ever since.