A hymn from my childhood - God's Spirit is in my heart,

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
docsonia113

Post by docsonia113 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:49 am

This reinforces my Christian belief that God is Father of all creation and Jesus came to bring salvation to all mankind. We sang this hymn in our Church today- as we were reminded of the life of James the Apostle, brother of John. It is a favorite of ours although it is not in any of our hymn books- so I set out to find out more about it and found your website. We worship in an Anglican Church in a small island north of Venezuela in the Caribbean Sea- called Trinidad. We were blessed by the lyrics- our island is multi- ethnic, multi-religious and secular with Christianity being the religion of about 40 % of its population. Thank you Steve and bless you all

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:47 pm

In 1971, a nun, I think from the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth, Kentucky, visited our Roman Catholic high school. It seems like she told us that she knew another nun who wrote the music to this wonderful song when she taught it to us then. Of course, most of the lyrics are scripture. It still sings in my head after all of these years.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:54 pm

awesome. I could only come up with verse 3 this morning as I sang this to my husband. Thanks everyone.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:48 am

Hi! I too have just been trying to find this song to sing in our church. I found it listed on CCLI (Christian Copyright Licence International) . If your church has this licence it is found twice but only has the lyrics - there are 6 verses. Song ID numbers: 968866 & 4692612. Copyright details: Authors: Alan Dale & Hubert John Richards (c) 1982 Kevin Mayhew Ltd (Words &Music) Can anyone advise where I can find the music score? Thanks

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:11 pm

Hello I happened have a manuscript of this hymn score. Please let me know your email so I can send to you.

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:12 pm

I sang this song when I was young too, and would love a copy of the music if anyone has it. Thanks.
[email protected]

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:25 am

This hymn stiirs up my spirit for an assignment and that is, to speak the truth in the language of the Bible,so that yokes are broken and the burden of ignorance be loosened among the people. Let God provide the abundance of the spirit. Amen.

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks for posting
I found myself singing this song unconsciously but couldn't really get the proper lyrics since I used to sing it in church when I was younger. I had to check online for the lyrics.
BruceTN

Re: A hymn from my childhood - God’s Spirit is in my heart,

Post by BruceTN » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:57 am

The line
Tell prisoners that they are prisoners no more,
should read
Tell prisoners that they are pris'ners no more,

Why? Because it fits the music. I remember a choir director teaching us this about 45 years ago. There are 3 tones/notes in the music for the first occurrence of "prisoner", but only two for the second, so the "o" is skipped in the second occurrence.