I Will Talk To My Father For You

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Mon May 26, 2014 12:50 am

btw, only wanted to put a confused face in the above question. Forgive all the others that were put in accidentally.
-Ann
steveliu
Site Admin

Post by steveliu » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:18 am

Hi Ann,

Sorry about that, I went ahead and fixed all the weird faces. It happens every now and again on certain browsers, I'm not exactly sure why...

To answer your question, the line "He will lay at your feet all the things you pursue" certainly is a little bit confusing, and there's no direct Biblical reference I can find that explains what it means. From the context of the hymn, here's my guess:

- The main text of the hymn looks like it's inspired by John 14:16, where Jesus comforts the disciples by telling them that he will "pray the Father" on their behalf, and that He would send a Helper (the Holy Spirit).

- The phrase "lay at your feet" can be confusing because generally refers to making an offering or showing submission (Ruth 3:8, Matthew 15:30), but in this context it seems to refer to conquering or overcoming something or someone (Romans 16:20, 1 Corinthians 15:27, Ephesians 1:22).

- "All the things you pursue" I'm guessing refers to the anxieties of life that weigh us down and trouble us.

So from the context of the hymn, I'm guessing it means that this song is from a person who'll pray to God on behalf of his/her friend, knowing that He has the ability to help whatever is causing trouble in his/her life.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks, and God bless!
Steve
barbdale

Post by barbdale » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:17 pm

to Ann,
I change the lyrics from 'He will lay at your feet all the things you pursue' to 'He will lay at your feet all the things good for you'. I don't agree with the original line. I would sure hope God would not give me all the things I've pursued in my life. He surely knows what is good for me better than I do & I trust Him.

I do have to say in the song's favor that it touched me the first time I heard it sung by the Nelons at a Gospel Quartet convention (that I didn't win the solo competition for). Just the thought that Jesus was praying to the Father in my behalf hit me here. He understood my sadness because He suffered more than we will ever suffer. He intercedes for us continually as we are BEING SAVED. Our final salvation will be when we die or Christ comes in the rapture(should that happen before we die - hope so).

I am also encouraged by this song to think that one of the greatest things we can do for someone who is facing a trial is to say 'I'm praying for you" and do it in their hearing. So comforting - especially if it comes from someone who has been through what you've been through.

Hope this helps. I still sing this song.