"I Know a Name - that wonderful name is Jesus." sung by unknown operatic baritone.

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
LaJoan

"I Know a Name - that wonderful name is Jesus." sung by unknown operatic baritone.

Post by LaJoan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:03 pm

I heard this hymn on television sung at the Crystal Cathredal about 15 years ago and have not heard it since. It was performed by a Native American Indian who was unknow to me. I've never forgotten it.
Begins "I Know a Name " and final words are "that wonderful name is Jesus."
BerylP

Post by BerylP » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Hopefully it's this one:

I know a name that can drive away all sorrow,
I know a name that is sweeter than them all;
I know a name from which comfort I may borrow
When others fail and when tears of anguish fall.

I know a name that can still the raging tempest,
I know a name that can calm the troubled sea;
I know a name with a tender touch of healing
For every heart that by sin may troubled be.

I know a name that dispels the powers of evil,
I know a name that can break the tempter�s snare;
I know a name that unlocks the gate of heaven
When through its merits I go to God in prayer.

I know a name, wondrous name above all others,
O sacred name by angelic hosts adored;
I know a name that is altogether lovely,
O precious name of my living Christ and Lord.

Refrain
I know a name, a wonderful name,
That wonderful name is Jesus.

- Haldor Lillenas, 1928

Copyright � 1928 by Lillenas Publishing Co.
LaJoan

Post by LaJoan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:36 am

Amazing! It is the same song.
It was sung by a Native American who might have been called "White Feather." I was mesmerized and remember the melody well except for
the first line of the refrain.
Do you know if it is recorded or know of a hymnal that might include it?
I'm forever grateful.

Joan Fox
BerylP

Post by BerylP » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:10 am

I personally have the words and four-part harmony in a book by Singspiration called "Favourites No.6" published in 1966.

If a way could be found, I could post you a copy by snail mail - or maybe someone else has a better idea !

Post by Guest » Sun May 01, 2011 12:37 am

Great song I'm so glad that I got the words song that I can sing and play with my piano. Thanks a million.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:33 am

My sister and I use to sing it as a duet in church when we were younger.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:57 am

This song was also performed by Walter Arteaze in the early 80's late 70's

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:46 am

Derrick Johnson's Vocal Orchestra - 20 A Capella Classics sings this sing sweeter than I've ever heard.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:56 am

I used to sing it from our blue hymnal at Daniels Band Church in Midland, Michigan with my sister. I wish I had that hymnal. I don't remember what the title of the hymnal was. sherry
Zorea283

Post by Zorea283 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:58 pm

I seem to remember this as being older than "1966" and "Favorites No.6".

My recollection goes back to the 1950's, or even the 1940's.

I have transcribed what I remember, and it - as I remember it - doesent seem to fit the styles of the 1940's or 1950's. I remember it as having a key change, and a time signature change in the chorus.

I remembered the words wrong, according to what someone else posted above. I'll go back to my transcription and add in your words.

Thanks, zgv283