In my Life Lord, Be Glorified

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Sun May 23, 2010 4:06 pm

Does any one know the lyrics to "In my Life Lord, Be Glorified?"
SingerForGod

Post by SingerForGod » Mon May 24, 2010 12:55 am

Lord, Be Glorified - by Bob Kilpatrick

"This a gift to be simple," says the old Quaker hymn. While that's true, few of us would expect a song with only five notes and seven words to span the planet. Yet, Bob Kilpatrick's simple "(In My Life) Lord, Be Glorified" is printed in nearly every hymnal and songbook. It's in the overhead bins and slide trays at hundreds of thousands of churches.
After nearly 20 years, it continues to emerge as one of the top 25 most-sung worship songs. It has circled the globe and been translated into more languages than the author can track.

Kilpatrick compares those five notes to the five loaves a little boy brought the Lord. "When placed in the hands of Jesus," he points out, "they fed multiplied thousands."

The example is an apt one. Just as that single lunch was meant to feed one, "Lord Be Glorified" was intended as a personal prayer of consecration. "It has spread throughout the Church worldwide," says the author, "because He blessed it, broke it and gave it away to His people."

In 1977, Kilpatrick and his wife Cindy had just begun their full-time music ministry. He remembers sitting alone in his mother-in-law's living room, while the rest of the extended family watched TV elsewhere in the home.

With a guitar in his hands and an open Bible on his knees, he asked God to help him write a song. In this song, he and his wife would dedicate themselves to the ministry to which they were being called. It was a tender, personal statement to the Father.

"I think, in retrospect," Kilpatrick says, "that this lent a certain purity to the song. I was relaxed. I wasn't trying to impress anybody. I was free to write the simplest of melodies coupled with an equally simple prayer."

Here are those lyrics, along with the seldom-heard verses:

In my life, Lord,
be glorified, be glorified
In my life, Lord,
be glorified today
By my words, Lord...

You are the reason
that I'm singing all day long
Everyday is the season
to glorify You with a song
(And so I'm singing)

In this song, Lord
be glorified...

I can think of no other way
I'd rather spend a day
Than with my sisters and brothers
all rejoicing in Your ways
(And so we're singing)
In Your church, Lord,
be glorified...

When the song was completed, both Bob and Cindy realized the little song was a treasure. "It was pretty obvious," Kilpatrick recalls, "that it would help people express this basic prayer to the Lord. My wife encouraged me to sing it. I think she saw its potential before I did."

Kilpatrick performed it privately for his friend Karen Lafferty, author of "Seek Ye First," and for Jim Stipech, then worship leader at Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa, California. Lafferty taught the song broadly in Europe while Stipech included it regularly in his praise services for two years. The song was eventually included on the Praise Three album from Maranatha! Music in 1978.

"Since then," Kilpatrick says, "I have sung the song behind the Iron Curtain, in the bustees of Calcutta and the slums of Central America. It has been recorded hundreds, perhaps thousands of times and appeared in print on many millions of pages around the world."

"It is still most fulfilling," he concludes, "when Cindy and I sing it as our prayer of consecration to the Lord."
SingerForGod

Post by SingerForGod » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:14 pm

Be Glorified (In My Life Lord)

In my life Lord
Be glorified, be glorified
In my life, Lord
Be glorified today.

In Your church, Lord
In Your church, Lord
Be glorified today.

In my heart, Lord
In my heart, Lord
Be glorified today.

In my praise, Lord
In my praise, Lord
Be glorified today.

Public Domain
Words and Music by Unverified

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:14 pm.