An old Scots hymn - In the regions higher

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

An old Scots hymn - In the regions higher

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:04 pm

I noticed that the link in this thread no longer works, but if anyone is still interested in getting this wonderful old hymn for your use, please let me know.
I have transcribed the music in a traditional hymn format with the lyrics to the first verse in the score and the other 18 verses as a footnote.
If you are interested in getting a copy, I would be happy to send you one free of charge!
Contact me at [email protected]

I am also an NBBI grad with my wife of 33 years, Kelly, and we have such fond memories of our choir singing this acapella quite often!

God Bless,
Scott Loring
NBBI, Class of 1987

Re: An old Scots hymn - In the regions higher

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:32 pm

What a delight to have stumbled onto this old thread with some familiar names as I too was looking for the words again to this long lost hymn!
Thank you Nelleke Plouffe for publishing all 19 verses and also the music! Well done.
May I fill in some historical color to the previous comments?
You are all correct that PEI is the only place this was ever sung or heard! At least that is true for me back in 1980!
It comes to us via the MacKenzie sisters, originally from Belfast, specifically Bonnie and Debbie, and not far from the Free Church of Scotland in Mt. Albion pastored then by Ted MacDougall. Bonnie attended NBBI circa 1980-82 and was likely the one who introduced it there.
Bonnie and Debbie formed a trio together with Esther Bears singing this a cappella along with many other songs with Debbie's guitar. I helped just a wee bit with that. But it was heavenly. This was during the days of the "Park Street Revival" in Charlottetown and at Camp Emmanuel in Upton. From there, Esther B indeed went out to Prairie Bible the fall of '81 (Esther D., I didn't remember that you went there also!) Debbie gave me a copy of all these verses about 25 years ago, but I lost them, and that's why I'm here now courtesy of Google!

Anyway, I still have the original 1980 tape recording (now in mp3) of Bonnie, Esther, and Debbie together with Sam Bears singing a cappella In the Regions, verses, 1,3,4 and 16. if any of would like it, please write me as follows:
littleflock (at) netzero (dot) net. Would love to hear from you.
Blessings,

Chris Anderson