But Then Comes the Morning

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:25 am

Does anyone know who wrote this???

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 pm

Here is the song....

But then comes the Morning
Yesterday sorrows behind
wake it's the day of your longing. life returns, mercy comes, it's morning.
Look at him stripped on the hill
running the streets poorly clad
robots have taken his job
his hands are outstreetched for the nails (refrain)

refrain:
Forgive Lord, forgive. It was night when we did what we did....
But then comes the morning yesterdays sorrows behind
wake it's the day of your longing. life returns, mercy comes, it's morning.

Look at him nailed to the cross.
Nailed by our lack of concern
Locked and forgotten in jail
Confined to a home for the aged. (refrain)

Look at him die on the cross
witness man's cruelty to man
cut down like weeds in our wars
stabbed on the streets where we live. (refrain)

The night watch is set at the tomb.
He's buried not dead but alive
as long as you did if to these
you also have done it to me (refrain)

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:07 am

Thank you so much. Today is the 33rd anniversary of my husband's death and I was again thinking of the song. I am so glad to finally have the words, it is a wonderful song, and, it is Easter!

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Thank you! I've been looking for this song for years! I learned it in 8th grade, in 1971. It has haunted me since then...Does anyone know who wrote it or sang it?
jfbanks

Post by jfbanks » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:26 am

Thank you so much! I just checked back not quite expecting that anyone would find the lyrics but lo and behold. Bless you!

Post by Guest » Mon May 16, 2011 2:02 am

I also have been searching for the complete lyrics on the internet for some time....this is the first time my internet search came up with any worthwhile responses. The song resonated with me in as we sang it in school in maybe 1977 or 79. It was not attached to any specific event for me, but the lyrics and the melody have "haunted" me for years. I pick up a hymnal in every church I attend (did it today) to one day see it again, but have never seen any glimpse.....glad to see the others were similarily affected and have teamed to put this together. Thank you.

Post by Guest » Tue May 17, 2011 1:54 pm

I realize this is a long shot BUT--does anyone happen to have the sheet music to this hymn??

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:53 am

Here's some more info. It appears the song is by Jack Miffleton, from his ablum "With Skins And Steel" (Heres the link to the album info: http://www.discogs.com/Jack-Miffleton-W ... se/1600927

You can hear a sample of the song on a podcast at: http://www.kencanedo.com/Podcasts.html in CHAPTER FIVE. You can listen on the site or download the podcast to your computer. The song description and sample begin at 17:15

It was a lot more moving when I heard it at St. Raphael Catholic Church in the 1970's. I hope to find additional versions soon.
mbuckley

Post by mbuckley » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:29 pm

Does anyone have the chords to this song by Jack Miffleton,But then comes the morning"? I used to do this song years ago with my folk group. I love it and want to play it again for Maundy thursday.

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:32 am

WOW! That song haunted me (in a GOOD way) for many years after I grew up. I remember singing it in church when I was about 9 or 10 yrs old in the mid to late 1970's. I LOVED that song! Thank you all so much for posting the actual words. As you can imagine, I ended up making some of it up just to be able to sing the melody! lol