My God and I Walked int he Fields Together

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:09 pm

I found this old hymn, My God and I, in a Living Praise Hymnal Copyright 1974 by Singspiration, Division of The Zondervan Corporation. It is number 24. A member of my church had the words but not the tune and he remembered singing it at Camp Meetings years ago.
Kirk

Post by Guest » Mon May 17, 2010 11:40 pm

The actual music of this hymn was written by Mozart, which explains why people would dance to it.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:38 pm

WOW!. I used to sing this song to my children, as I rocked them to sleep. My new grandson has prompted me to find the words again. It's not in my Great Songs of the Church hymnal. Thanks for helping me to continue a tradition into the next generation.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:51 am

My mom just asked me for the words to this song after talking to a friend of hers. They use to sing this song in church together and could only remember part of the first verse. My mom is in her late 70's and sang the part she remembered to me. She will be so excited to get the rest of the song. Thanks!

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:40 am

We used to sing this on the last night of summer camp at Lake Murray, Okla.It was so beautiful to hear it as we looked out over the lake. There was a spoken verse at the end that a fellow with a nice voice recited as we hummed. "The stars shine over the earth, the stars shine over the sea. The stars look down from heaven, the stars look down on me. The stars may shine for a million years - for a million years and a day. But my God and I will live and love when the stars have passed away."

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:20 pm

I really think this song is older than a copyright 1957, perhaps that copyright is for that particular version. It was sung at my uncle's funeral and he died in 1942.

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:17 am

I first sang this song at First Baptist Church in Mt. Gilead, Ohio. It has not left my memory since I first sang it in about 1949. I am 90 years old and know my time here on earth is limited and would like to leave the words for my children to enjoy. And, I want it sung at my funeral,,,,and I am so glad to have found the words....NOW maybe I can find the music [email][email protected][/email]

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:46 pm

To the Post of 6 Nov 2010.
You have me somewhat by the age factor but I too am still of the generation when this song was used, both as a hymn and for funerals. Several years ago, when my mother died unexpectedly, an additional verse came to me which, until now, has not been published. My wife died suddenly 12/13/10 and I, with GOD's help, along with my daughter plant on singing this at her memorial.

My God I meet, With Jesus safely tendered
I know now what His plans for me have been.
I join the Host that have passed on before me.
My CHRIST I praise and pass to him my Crown.
I join the Host that have passed on before me.
My CHRIST I praise and pass to him my Crown.

As I believe these words are from GOD, the only caveat I place on them is:
"Composed by GOD through William G. Bates"

Memorial will be 11am 27 Dec 2010 at First Baptist Church of El Paso, Tx.

If anyone on this site wishes to contact me, my address is:
[email protected]

William G. Bates

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:29 pm

There is a wonderful recording of this song by George Beverly Shea that I found via Napster.

It is from a "vintage" recording from 1959.

http://free.napster.com/choir-and-orche ... n/14028557

You'll notice that if you try to play along with the above recording that it must be quite old because the PITCH on all four of the EP's tracks are slightly out of tune with contemporary digital pitch machines....but there's no finer voice to sing this or any gospel song than GBS!

Dave Nuttall
South Texas Gospel Music Assn.
San Antonio, Texas