Thieves steal your diamonds, your gold melts away, your river of silver will flow to the sea.

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Thieves steal your diamonds, your gold melts away, your river of silver will flow to the sea.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:04 am

This is part of the second verse...I need the rest. Song Acre of Diamonds
zcomposer

Post by zcomposer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:30 am

A slight amendment, should others seek other verses here.

I have read the song as published (in the late 1950's) and there is only one verse. Someone just sent me text for three verses which I can't vouch for. Doesn't mean you can't add verses to a song, but if you want the song as written, it's only one verse plus chorus.

Acres of Diamonds, mountains of gold,
Rivers of silver, jewels untold;
All these together, couldn't buy you or me
Peace when we're sleeping or a conscience that's free.

(chorus) A heart that's contented, a satisfied mind,
These are the treasures, money can't buy;
If you have Jesus, there's more wealth in your soul,
Than acres of diamonds, or mountains of gold.

(v2, reportedly - added later, at the least, and not from the author Arthur Smith)
Thieves steal your diamonds, your gold melts away
Your rivers of silver, will flow to the sea;
Just hold onto Jesus, for in heaven we know
There are acres of diamonds, and mountains of gold.

(chorus)

(v3, reportedly - added later, at the least, and not from the author Arthur Smith)
Friendship[s are] transient, they will decay;
Earth's golden riches, will soon pass away;
But one thing's for certain, there are riches untold
Reserved and awaiting, for all in his fold.

(chorus)

---------

Thanks to the later post that suggested 'transient' which has to be better than trenchant!
zcomposer

Acres of Diamonds

Post by zcomposer » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:07 pm

I've had dozens, maybe even hundreds of requests in the last dozen years or so - for a copy of the sheet music for "Acres of Diamonds" by Arthur Smith.
Always glad to send an electronic copy to you for free. Just that one composition. I typeset it myself some time ago.

You can have a copy if you ask. It's just the one song. Nothing else. I send it electronically via email. You can have it or print it or whatever. No charge. Feel free to use as you wish, or to share with others. I would prefer you not sell it or make money off of it, but I suppose at this late date there's not much chance of that anyway!

As I mentioned earlier, it's only got one verse, which is the way Mr. Smith wrote it, as far as I can tell. Mr. Smith, it seems, passed away in 2014. He is listed on the BMI site (BMI.com) as the songwriter of "BMI Work # 5053" which is Acres of Diamonds. The Publisher is listed as Clay Music Corp. In the last dozen years or so I've tried multiple times to contact Mr. Smith, his publisher, and anybody else who would talk to me about Acres of Diamonds, but I have never had an answer. Obviously Mr. Smith will not be answering now.
zcomposer wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:30 am Acres of Diamonds, mountains of gold,
Rivers of silver, jewels untold;
All these together, couldn't buy you or me
Peace when we're sleeping or a conscience that's free.

(chorus) A heart that's contented, a satisfied mind,
These are the treasures, money can't buy;
If you have Jesus, there's more wealth in your soul,
Than acres of diamonds, or mountains of gold.
Last edited by zcomposer on Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malrom

Re: Thieves steal your diamonds, your gold melts away, your river of silver will flow to the sea.

Post by Malrom » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:05 pm

Just wanted to mention that there is a beautifil
version of this song out now.

Acres Of Diamonds by Joe Mullins & The Radio Ramblers

In the list of the top 5 Gospel Songs of the 2019 IBMA awards!

https://youtu.be/kzdOQhJ_e6M
Judy Freel

Re: Thieves steal your diamonds, your gold melts away, your river of silver will flow to the sea.

Post by Judy Freel » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:13 pm

How do I receive an electronic copy? Know it was sung by George Beverly Shea back in the day, but have not found a copy of the words or the music.
Lynnaydani

Post by Lynnaydani » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:52 pm

Visit The Potter Pages at https://woodyandamypotter.wordpress.com/ for more free sheet music.

Born and raised in Portsmouth, Ohio, Amy studied piano from age 8 to age 13. After years of travel and travail, she returned to her hometown area and received Christ as her Savior. She is married, and her husband, Woody, helps record her piano instrumental mp3s in a small home studio. She has played accompaniment for choirs and for special music and is now one of the pianists at Victory Baptist Church in West Portsmouth, Ohio. Amy enjoys composing gospel songs and arranging piano accompaniments for vocalists. She also enjoys playing special arrangements of public domain hymns. Her style is a combination of Christian/Southern Gospel/Folk/Ragtime. She is a self-taught composer. Amy gives God the glory for all that she has accomplished.

https://www.free-scores.com/PDF_EN/acre ... 102209.pdf