Ring, O Ring, Ye Chimes of Glory

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
Haruo

Ring, O Ring, Ye Chimes of Glory

Post by Haruo » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:12 am

I'm looking for a text beginning "Ring, O ring, ye chimes of glory" written by one John Carroll Davison, a Methodist missionary in Japan, in 1884 (or at least published in a loose Japanese translation - "Ame ni wa mitsukai" the Japanese text does not contain the words for "ring", "chimes" or "glory" - in his hymnal of that year, Kirisutokyoo Seikashuu).

The Japanese text (transliterated) as well as a great deal of discussion of this and other "Hymn to Joy" or "Ode to Joy" texts, is in this thread at the Mudcat Café.

This was the text set to "Hymn to Joy" in the 1954 Japanese Protestant hymnal Sanbika, and was often treated as the Japanese version of "Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee" (although in fact they had only the tune in common). The present Japanese Protestant Sanbika 21 (1997) has a translation of "Joyful, Joyful" and no longer includes "Ame ni wa mitsukai".

"Ame ni wa mitsukai" was sung at my parents' memorial service in Tokyo in 1968, and I would be ever so grateful if someone could point me to the English original.

Thanks,
Haruo

PS: Incidentally, how do you get the "Bold" "Italics" etc. buttons above the message text box to work? I had to format mine by hand; clicking or unclicking the checkboxes below the text box had no effect.