Down to the River to Pray

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:33 pm

i just heard down to the river to pray on the movie, oh brother, where art thou? my avorite song of all times!

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:02 pm

Going to be sung by a 20 piece choir during my wedding..... Love it and believe it. Beautiful

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:03 pm

I just heard this song for the first time ever while watching the O Brother..... Movie.. what is the history of this song... ?? is it old.. and who wrote it..
its the most beautifull song that i have ever heard... I never go to chucrch or anything like that,,, but this song, might make me think twice..... please help me out...

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:05 pm

I forgot to give you my mail... [email protected]
my post was:
I just heard this song for the first time ever while watching the O Brother..... Movie.. what is the history of this song... ?? is it old.. and who wrote it..
its the most beautifull song that i have ever heard... I never go to chucrch or anything like that,,, but this song, might make me think twice..... please help me out...
msbubrry

Post by msbubrry » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Any one looking for the chords to this song can go to this link to find them. I pray that this helps some one. Thank you and God Bless!

http://www.gospelmusic.org.uk/a-g.htm

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:24 pm

I have never seen or heard who wrote this song, but I'll give some opinion based on the underlying music:

It sounds very, very very much like much of the music sung by slaves during that unfortunate scar of AMerica's history. Many of those songs were that of hope, of oppression, of praise, of pain, and rejoice all at the same time. They were sung in unison, many of them many verses long and often never written down. It's almost an oral history of their faith, their hope, and their plight. I have no proof of this at all, but I can almost guarantee this is a likely origin of this song. Think about the song "Sweet Little Jesus Boy", which is of the same origin I am speaking. Read the lyrics, listen to the song, and compare.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:15 pm

Yes you're right on the money. The base of this song sounds very much African.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:01 pm

While it might sound like something slaves might compose, it also sounds exactly like the style of Gospel music that has been composed and sung since European immigrants settled in the southern Appalachian Mountains of Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, and northern Georgia. A lot of a capella songs were written by southern "mountain" people. One reason was that some families did not have musical instruments. Some denominations, too, did not believe in having musical instruments in church.

The long and short of it is that the Gospel songs written by both African-American slaves and Caucasians in the Southern Appalachian mountains came from the heart in worship of and to tell others about their Creator.

If you have heard very much mountain or "old time" Gospel music, you would realize that African-American slaves don't have an exclusive on inspirational Gospel music. Everyone who lives a hard life and has a close relationship with the Creator identifies with songs in the style of "Down to the River to Pray."

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can download
"The Ground Is Level" (at the foot of the cross)?
RandyJurczyk

Post by RandyJurczyk » Fri May 20, 2011 4:15 pm

I absolutely love this song, even before I was saved. I first heard it on the "O Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack last year while I was deployed and instantly fell in love with it. It's not the song that got me saved, I gotta thank Hank Sr. for that one, and the song, "Somethin' Got Ahold Of Me" but, I can't think about God without thinkin' about this song. Thank you so much for the lyrics!