song that i heard about 35 years ago - preacher in the pulpit won't pay his thithes

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
rockinpig

song that i heard about 35 years ago - preacher in the pulpit won't pay his thithes

Post by rockinpig » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:47 am

something like this
preacher in the pulpit won't pay his thithes runs around with women and tells them lies. --____ _ _ old brown mule and it won't be long till the tempt is gone,
well you got a little holy free from sin if you ever get to heaven will he let you in?

Had several verses and not sure this is even right.
DianneN

Post by DianneN » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:28 am

IF U EVER GET TO HEAVEN WANNA SEE THE LORD

Preacher in the pulpit
Won't pay his tithes
Runs around with women
And tells big lies
Goes to the picture show
Dances all night
Argues with you and says he's all right

Well u gotta live holy and free from sin
If u ever get to heaven wanna enter in
U gotta read ur bible study every word
If u ever get to heaven wanna see the Lord

Women in the church
Claim to be saints
Can't see their faces
For the powder and the paint
Hair bobbed off
Sleeves all gone
knee high dresses
And their clothes are half gone
karenelaine

Re: song that i heard about 35 years ago - preacher in the pulpit won't pay his thithes

Post by karenelaine » Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:23 am

Here is a song I sing at my Mother's church from time to time. I really haven't got up the nerve to sing it anywhere else lol I been singing it since I was young girl.

If you ever get to Heaven Wanna See The Lord

1) Fussing in the Camp, things go wrong,
Craving for Tobacco till the last drug song,
Give them a cue of the old Brown Mule and it won't be long till their tempers cool

Chorus:
Well you gotta live Holy Free from sin, if you ever get to Heaven Wanna enter in, Just read your Bible and Study every word, if you ever get to Heaven Wanna see the Lord.

2) Women in the church, claim to be Saints, can't see their faces for the Powder and the Paint, Hairs Bobbed off, shoes all gone, knee high dresses and their clothes half on

Repeat Chorus

3) Going to Prayer Meeting Wed. Night, Praying that the Lord will give us more light, empty benches all sitting in a row, cause the Hypocrites is gone to the Picture Show

Repeat Chorus

Preacher in the Pulpit, won't pay his tithes, He runs around with Women and He tells his lies, Goes to the picture show and Dances all Night, but he argues with you that He's alright

Repeat Chorus
Preacher_Jon

Re: song that i heard about 35 years ago - preacher in the pulpit won't pay his thithes

Post by Preacher_Jon » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:21 pm

That song has been around since the mid-70's! I remember hearing it around 1975-76 time frame. The Segos and Naomi were the group I remember but it's probably been "covered" by others since then.