Looking for Lyrics and Music to this Song! - Acres of Diamonds (Mountains of Gold)

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
Franny

Looking for Lyrics and Music to this Song! - Acres of Diamonds (Mountains of Gold)

Post by Franny » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:26 am

The song is, "Acres of Diamonds (Mountains of Gold). The song writer was Arthur Korb. A George Hamilton IV and a Elton Britt recorded it. I first heard it at my Aunts house in NC, many years ago, it was in a Hymnal. I never forgot it, always liked it. Help!
SingerForGod

Post by SingerForGod » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:18 am

Franny,
I just posted an answer to this for another request for same song, so you might check the latest posting. Actually Arthur Smith wrote both words & music. I have the book with the song which George Beverly Shea sang. Enjoy.
zcomposer

Post by zcomposer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:07 pm

There is a thread on this question which SingerForGod very kindly helped with some time ago. It's here - http://www.namethathymn.com/hymn-lyrics ... opic&t=759. The author (words and music) was indeed Arthur Smith in, I believe, 1959.

The text given by SingerForGod was perfect, and is entirely contained within the material I ended up typesetting again. There are no other verses that I've been able to find, and the source I did find was, as far as I could tell, the complete song as written by Mr. Smith.

Jay

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:47 am

ACRES OF DIAMOND'
MOUNTAINS OF GOLD
RIVERS OF SILVER
AND JEWELS UNTOLD
ALL THESE TOGETHER COULD NOT BUY YOU AND ME
stevef

Post by stevef » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:56 am

Franny, I went through the same seach you are going through. I found the music to it, but it wasn't easy. I found it in a library in upper New York Sate. The author is Arthur Smith. The Lyrics are as follows:
Acres of Diamonds mountains of gold, rivers of silver, jewels untold; All these together, wouldn't buy you or me, Peace when we're sleeping or a conscience that's free, A heart that's contended, a satisfied mind, These are the treasures, money can't buy, If you have Jesus, there's more wealth in your soul, Than Acres of Diamonds, mountains of gold.
stevef

Post by stevef » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:09 am

Franny,
I have sang Acres of Diamonds in church. I have a DVD of singing that song, if that would help you, let me know through this forum. I will check back frequently to see if you answer. Also my wife plays the Hammond Organ. You can go to You Tube and type in Sandy Foster Organ and you will see her videos. Religious hymns and songs. She also sells them on ebay. You can also send me a message on You Tube if you are a member. farmand1dog is our You Tube Name.
Steve
zcomposer

Post by zcomposer » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:47 am

A slight amendment, should others seek other verses here.

I have read the song as published (in the late 1950's) and there is only one verse. Someone just sent me text for three verses which I can't vouch for. Doesn't mean you can't add verses to a song, but if you want the song as written, it's only one verse plus chorus.

Acres of Diamonds, mountains of gold,
Rivers of silver, jewels untold;
All these together, couldn't buy you or me
Peace when we're sleeping or a conscience that's free.

(chorus) A heart that's contented, a satisfied mind,
These are the treasures, money can't buy;
If you have Jesus, there's more wealth in your soul,
Than acres of diamonds, or mountains of gold.

(v2, reportedly - added later, at the least, and not from the author Arthur Smith)
Thieves steal your diamonds, your gold melts away
Your rivers of silver, will flow to the sea;
Just hold onto Jesus, for in heaven we know
There are acres of diamonds, and mountains of gold.

(chorus)

(v3, reportedly - added later, at the least, and not from the author Arthur Smith)
Friendship[s are] transient, they will decay;
Earth's golden riches, will soon pass away;
But one thing's for certain, there are riches untold
Reserved and awaiting, for all in his fold.

(chorus)

---------

Thanks to the later post that suggested 'transient' which has to be better than trenchant!
Last edited by zcomposer on Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:09 pm

For years my Mother-in-Law said she had been awakened during the nite to write the words to this song.
She sought out a publisher, they said they wanted to change a few of the words. She said the Lord had given the words that were written here and left.
She stated with no "claim", she realized the person she had shown the song to did indeed write it has he wanted it sung.
Deborah Harvey

Post by Deborah Harvey » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Please I need the music for :
Acres of Diamonds
Deborah Harvey
Po Box 1091
Mars Hill, NC 28754

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:57 am

All 3 verses correct. 3Rd verse friendship is transient