When lamps are lighted in the town, the fishermen at sea

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:38 am

I've been looking for these lyrics for a long time and like a previous posting they remind me of childhood holidays in the little fishing village of Appledore in North Devon.
Thanks

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:55 am

Memories of primary school (over 40 years ago)! This one always sticks in the mind - I remember it had loads of flats to play on our recorders!!

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:07 pm

We used to sing it at school assembly in Hastings, East Sussex, over 40 years ago. Hastings has the largest beach-based fishing fleet in Europe and everyone knew someone in the fishing community so very poignant.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:21 am

wow-I have been singing this song to my children and they love it, but could only remember one verse -thanks for the rest. Brings back memories singing it during assembly at Kilimani Primary School in Kenya.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:45 pm

I come from Fishing stoc when I was a kid and was a regular hymn at school and sung regularly at funerals of family fishermen

Post by Guest » Mon May 30, 2011 1:39 pm

I love this hymn. iIt was Hymn number144 in our Hymn books at Bursar St school Cleethorpes and made me think of my brother at sea. Thanks for the memories.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:59 pm

Thrunscoe School Cleethorpes as well - again over 40 years ago!!!

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Portland Underhill junior school sang this one quite often in school in the mornings. That would be about 1975 ish.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Whiteshill school, GLOS in the early 80s. Thank you for that. I'll be singing it to my kids! I still find myself singing stuff I sang nearly 30 years ago and the lyrics speaking to me. Who'd have thought his song would touch so many people so many years later? We never know what footprints we'll leave.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Vine Road Primary Green St Green. My favourite school hymn. 1961/2/3/4