The Homecoming Week -- need words and music

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:19 pm

Starts "Upon our journey here below..." Also "Sometimes there is a heavy cross...." and the chorus may begin with "When we've been there ten thousand years..."

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:46 pm

My friend, in her late 60s, says this was her mother's favorite song, and it may have been in an old Stamps-Baxter Hymnal, but I don't have one any more.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:01 pm

I believe I have accurately recalled the first verse and chorus to "Homecoming Week". I could sing you the tune but otherwise I'm not musical. I always heard an old farmer sing it acapella at the church where I grew up. He'd get excited and jump around. Gosh I miss him. I was thinking about this song yesterday and Googled it and found your post. I might be able to finish another verse from memory if someone gets me started.

Upon our journey here below we meet with pain and loss
Sometimes it is a crown of thorns, sometimes a heavy cross
The dreary road to Calvary, the bitter goad and sting
But once inside those gates of pearl, will be worth everything

When we're inside the gates of pearl
We'll learn a lot of things
We'll have a harp that's made of gold, perhaps a thousand strings
We'll sing and shout and dance about. The lamb will dry our tears.
We'll have a grand Homecoming Week the first ten thousand years

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:38 pm

The information I have says this is from the Believer's Song Book. . . The same gentleman who wrote this song also wrote "Deeper than the Stain has Gone." I'm trying to find the words to that song also. I'll also think of his name and come back and insert it here.

Here is the song ... all 3 verses

THE HOMECOMING WEEK_______________F

Upon our journey here below we meet with pain and loss;
Sometimes there is a crown of thorns,
sometimes the heavy cross.
The dreary road to Calvary, the bitter goad and sting,
But what's inside those gates of pearl will be worth everything.

CHORUS
When we're inside the gates of pearl,
We'll learn a lot of things,
We'll have a harp that's made of gold,
Perhaps a thousand strings;
We'll sing and shout and dance about,
The Lamb will dry our tears;
We'll have a grand homecoming week,
The first ten thousand years.

The shadows now begin to fall, the time is drawing nigh,
When Christ our Lord shall come again like lightning from the sky.
And while we wait and suffer here, praise God, we'll shout and sing,
For one glimpse through those gates of pearl will be worth everything.

The precious blood of God's own Son has saved and sanctified
A wondrous people for His name and they are called the Bride.
Though here neglected and despised, one day the Lord will bring
His chosen ones within the gates, and that's worth everything.

dr. matthews
[email protected]

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Dr. Raymond Browning wrote the song. He was a DS in the Church of the Nazarene in North Carolina. He also traveled as an evangelist. You can get the music from:

www.lillenas.com

N.B. Raymnd Browning and Adger Pace wrote "Praise the Lord I've been invited to a meeting in the air... JUBILEE" Super quartet song that you hear even today. I really love OLD TIME GOSPEL music that has a wonderful message. Lillenas has a wonderful SONGFINDER and it will help you locate music.

I'd love to hear from others

My name is Alan Matthews PhD
[email protected]

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:19 pm

There is a recording of this song on the album "Flowers in the Wildwood - Women In Early Country Music 1923-1939".
http://www.venerablemusic.com/catalog/T ... tleID=7186

it's not available there, but you can get it on amazon, at least.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:28 am

The Homecoming Week was written in 1939 by Raymond Browning/Adger Pace and was originally sung by the Vaughn Quartet from Lawrenceburg TN. The first time the song was performed was at the Nazarene Camp Meeting in Ohio in 1939. My father was there and told me about it many times. He said there were about 1000 people on their feet shouting--a typical response for Nazarenes of that day.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:12 am

First, I love the lovely memories that this song evokes. I've never seen this posting before.

In addition, I think that the Nazarene Camp sounds wonderful; however, I'm stunned that Browning and Pace are credited with writing this song!

The Leatherman Sisters are the original writers of this song. I know this for a fact because Lucille Leatherman was my grandmother and Lillian Leatherman was my great aunt. They wrote and recorded this song along with 3 others that they recorded with Bluebird Records in 1936. Bluebird was a subsidiary of RCA Records, and these songs all came out shortly thereafter on 78's. From the recognition that they received from this song and another song my grandmother wrote and recorded entitled "Curly-Headed Baby", they received a contract to be in several movies with Gene Autry. They were in "The Yodelin' Kid from Piney Ridge" with him in 1938. They had an eight picture contract. Unfortunately, family obligations forced them to return to NC after the first film.

Finally, I have the hand-written copy of the song that they took with them to the studio to record this song. I'm really disheartened that someone else is taking credit for this song when they were the original songwriters.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:03 pm

Who administers publishing for Curly Headed Baby?

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:51 am

i love this song as a kid, now its still my favorit :)