I knew a man and he had plenty ... what doth it profit a man

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
stevew

Post by stevew » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:14 am

The verses of this hymn begin "I knew a man" and the refrain if the familiar verse "what doth if profit a man if he gain the whole world. Can anyone help me find the whole text or tune. Thanks.
monzport

Post by monzport » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:21 am

i am seeking the male singer that sings the song:
The verses of this hymn begin "I knew a man" and the refrain if the familiar verse "what doth if profit a man if he gain the whole world.
songinmyheart

Post by songinmyheart » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:42 am

I copied this from Yahoo Answers from a 2 year old post by Jonathan:
-------------------
The song is called "What Does it Profit a Man?." It was originally from an obscure album by Jack Hannah, who currently sings with his brothers in a group called Sons of San Joaquin. The original album was called "I'm Stepping High", and has been republished on his "Songs of Faith" album. The chorus is:

What does it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul
Or what could he give in exchange for his soul?
But blessed above measure is he whose God is the Lord
And trusting his Word like a tree planted by the River of Life he shall be.

This song had a lot to do with cementing my relationship with Christ back in the early 1970s, and of course the text is from Luke 9:25, almost verbatim.

I stumbled upon your question this morning while trying to find a recording of the song online, some 40 years later. Haven't found it yet. I'll assume you can get a copy by writing to P.O. 9188, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80932. Jack was pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers in the early 60s.

I also found this website if you want contact :
http://thesons.com/

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 am

http://www.thesons.com/sonsshoppingcart ... category=2

That's where I found the song. The CD called Songs of Faith by Jack Hannah and " What does it profit a man?" on the track #9.
MooseBreathMints

Post by MooseBreathMints » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:49 am

Thank you for the information on Mr. Hannah!!!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:35 am

I had a recollection of this song recently, I can't remember all the lines, but here are the ones I do remember:

I knew a man and he had plenty

Told his soul to take it easy

The chorus is quoted by others above and sounds correct.

The second verse is:

I knew a man and he had plenty
The whole universe he made (I think)

Maybe someone can fill in the rest of the song with this information. I'd be interested to hear it. I can't find it on youtube or anywhere else.

Post by Guest » Sat May 20, 2017 10:01 am

I just heard this song on Family Radio, KPFR FM 89.5, radio station is in Pine Grove, Oregon,. It was playing Saturday morning at 2:30 am, Oregon time, precisely, and ended about 3 minutes later. Perhaps with this information, you could contact the radio station and they could locatell the song on the broadcast track that was playing at the time.

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:51 am

The complete lyrics are posted at the yahoo questions and answers page referenced above, here's the link:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 053AAKQhmB