down came the raindrops

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
maryboz

down came the raindrops

Post by maryboz » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:04 pm

can anyone remember all the words of this children's hymn? it starts :-
Down came the raindrops on a cloudy day
wetting all the pavements washing dirt away

down came the raindrops

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:47 am

Down came the raindrops on a cloudy day
wetting all the pavements washing dirt away
waking little brown buds thirsty seeds as well
Down into the blades of grass the little raindrops fel
Pitter, patter pit pat
this is how they came
Pitter patter pit pat
let us do the same
Pitter patter pit pat
Children though we be
Giver of the gentle rain, we give our thanks to Thee

Learn't that in elementary school 40 years ago! Now I am wanting to teach it to children and am searching for the sheet music!

down came the raindrops

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:57 pm

It was in the Methodist Sunday school Hymn book. There's bound to be one with tunes in existence. Ask a church organist as a starting point.

down came the raindrops

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks for that - I couldn't remember the last two lines. I used to sing this to my Sunday School class 45 years ago and now my little grandson loves it - with all the actions of course!

down came the raindrops

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks to whoever asked and answered that. I have known the first 3 lines for decades but forgot the rest. I have driven my husband kids (now all grown up) mad as i sing the lines and then hum the rest. When I last checked the internet it wasn't referenced on google - so thank you and thank you!!!

down came the raindrops

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks - I've been singing it for donkey's years [ well 60+] and didn't know where it came from!

down came the raindrops

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm 63 and we used to sing this is primary school. I loved it and am so pleased to be able to read all the words again, as I could only remember the first bit. I do remember the tune and have lovely memories of my schooldays in the 1950's,,,,very nostalgic.

down came the raindrops

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:22 pm

My Granny used to sing this chorus to us when it rained. I'm Granny now and have been singing the first two lines to my grandchildren for the last two years 'cos I didn't remember more, only the tune. Thanks for posting the words!

down came the raindrops

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:28 am

How wonderful to happen upon all the words. It's raining and I'm singing this song. I was about 8 when in the Methodist Rays, a girls group in the 1960's in Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia. I remember performing this song in a concert, all dressed in a white frock with cellophane pieces attached. Thank you!!

down came the raindrops

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:23 am

I am thrilled. Sang this hymn as a child many years ago growing up in Kenya, and had forgotten many of the lines. Bless you for posting .