Jesus dressed in garb so lowly

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:52 am

I am looking for the words to this hymn, I think it starts with Jesus dressed in garb so lowly, and has the words "Crumbs from off the table falling, these shall be my meal this day"

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Did you ever find the words....I'm also looking for this carol

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:37 pm

I used to sing it in my junior school, in the 1960s. It's in the Kingsway Carol Book, edited by Leslie Russell, published by Evans. This collection of carols was first published in 1946. I have never come across it anywhere else. The carol is titled 'Jesus Dressed in Garb so Lowly' and is apparently adapted from a 15th century French carol.

Asked, "O give me food I pray." (repeat)
Chorus: Crumbs from off the table falling,
These shall be my meat this day

Lady at the window seated,
Give me of thy food I pray. (Repeat)
Chorus

Enter then, poor child and hungry,
Make thy meal with me this day. (repeat)
Chorus

After he had supped, said Jesus:
"I would lay me down and rest." (repeat)
Chorus

Come, poor child, and take thy slumber,
Thou shalt be my welcome guest. (repeat)
Chorus

I loved this carol and delighted in the tune, finding the words mysterious and open-ended.

I've just checked, and copies of the carol book are available on both Amazon and Abebooks.
Hope this helps.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:57 pm

Have just realised that '15th century French' refers to the tune. Not sure about the provenance of the words, as no further info is given.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:43 am

Hi, now that we have the lyrics, does anyone know where I can find the music for this carol 'Jesus dressed in garb so lowly'? I tried online, but it doesn't come up. I even went on YouTube to see if there is a performance of it but nothing. In fact the only reference to this hymn are the lyrics on this website. Any ideas?
teresaforster

Re: Jesus dressed in garb so lowly

Post by teresaforster » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi. I posted some info about this carol a few years ago (I was the one who posted the lyrics) but I now have additional information. In its original form it was a sixteenth century French carol from the Picardy region. I have seen the French version and the English words are a translation.
The tune can be found in various hymn books as it is used for the hymn ‘Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence’, the words of which are based on the Liturgy of St James. I know it to be in Hymns of Praise, and believe it to be in Hymns Ancient and Modern. In addition, if you reference it in Google Images you will find an image of the sheet music which gives the tune. Hope this helps.
Elmlover4

Re: Jesus dressed in garb so lowly

Post by Elmlover4 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Yes, also sang it in junior school early 60s. Thought it was an Easter hymn though, about the Last Supper. Used to love the tune. Does anyone know where I can buy it on CD/MP3 please?