The basics of the Snell certification

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
Jill D Holloman

The basics of the Snell certification

Post by Jill D Holloman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:25 pm

The Snell Memorial Foundation or SMF was established in 1957 by William Peter Snell’s friends and racing colleagues. One year earlier, in 1956, Snell was involved in an accident while racing in an amateur auto event. He was killed by a serious injury on his head caused by an ineffective helmet. That’s is how the SMF was founded. In this post, HelmetsZone will explain how Snell safety tests are performed and how this certification is follow up. Keep reading until the end.

SMF is an unprofitable organization. It is run by Snell’s friends, physicians, and scientists who show expertise in head injuries. The goal of SMF is to create helmet standards and ensure all helmets used on the race track work effectively. Two years after the Foundation was formed, the first safety standard for auto racing helmets was finally released.

Then SMF focused its standards specifically on motorcycle helmets, and other sports like bicycling, skiing, skateboarding, in-line skating, and equestrian sports. Therein, standards for motorcycle helmets are most concerned.

Snell Standards for motorcycle helmet

The Foundation set forth the standard for motorcycle helmet rigorously. They are always kept up to date and updated consistently. To win the Snell certification, a motorcycle helmet model must pass a number of tests measuring the safety, the stability on heads in different conditions like wet and cold.

SMF runs independently of the government entities and the helmet manufacturers. Snell certification is not mandatory, so if motorcycle helmet manufacturers wish to have the Snell label, they must register and pay the testing fee. The label will be stuck inside the products that have passed the safety test, and the Foundation will save data of tested helmets on its database.

How Snell tests are performed

These tests are performed to determine whether a motorcycle helmet is eligible for Snell certification. The foundation will do totally 7 tests that are listed below:
The first is the impact test. This is to test the g-force on impact.

The second is to test the positional stability. This test helps to determine how stable the motorcycle helmet stays on the head and not roll-off.

The third is the dynamic retention test that tests the maximum stretch of the chin strap in stress.

The fourth is the chin bar test that tests the side turning of the chin bar in full-face motorcycle helmets.

Fifth, face shield penetration test that checks the durability of the visor through the ability to deflect a speeding pellet .

Sixth, shell penetration test. This is to test the hardness of the shell and the ability to limit or eliminate penetration by dropping the helmet from a certain height.

Finally, the flame retardant test. This test uses a propane flame to test special application racing helmets.

Read reviews on best motorcycle helmets certified by Snell and DOT here https://helmetszone.com/best-motorcycle ... views.html

Certification follow-up

To ensure the helmet manufacturers whose products passed all the Snell tests will continue complying with the standards, the Foundation still follows up on certified motorcycle helmets. The Snell will randomly purchase and test again the products that have Snell labels on the market. This is to ensure that the company still in compliance with the standards and to prove with consumers that the original motorcycle helmet’s effectiveness is still being met.

If the random sample testing shows bad results, and not complies with the original certification standards. The previous manufacturer's product censorship results will be canceled, and the Foundation will revoke the issued certificate.

According to statistics, in 2008, motorcycle helmets can help to reduce fatal injuries by 37% for riders and 41% for passengers. In the same year, effective motorcycle helmets saved 1829 motorcyclists from death( data of NHTSA).

Snell certification can help helmet users feel secure when driving because they know the performance quality of the motorbike helmet they are using through the tests that Snell has published. Because the helmet manufacturers have to pay the testing fee, the ultimate price of their products is expected to be higher than those without Snell certification. However, in case of an accident, you will know it is totally worth paying some extra money for the helmets that have been tested.

We own reviews of motorcycle helmet with Snell and DOT certification, you can read it on our blog HelmetsZone on Plurk.
Last edited by Jill D Holloman on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
songinmyheart

Re: That's just His Way of telling Me He loves me, Lyrics please

Post by songinmyheart » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi Jill

We do have the lyrics in our archives
viewtopic.php?t=6949

Here is a recording and the lyrics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNIagfZcR48

HE LETS ME WALK DOWN ROADS OF DISAPPOINTMENT

HE WATCHES AND HE KNOWS WHAT’S BEST FOR ME

MY GREATEST STRENGTH COMES THROUGH MY DARKEST TRIAL
AND MY GREATEST JOY IS KNOWING THAT HE CAN TRUST IN ME