"I'd like to go to Bethlehem to see the King "

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
luamc

"I'd like to go to Bethlehem to see the King "

Post by luamc » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:17 pm

I am looking for information on a children's christmas cantata containing the the song" I'd like to go to Bethlehem to see the King" and where i can get a copy of this. Lua Mc Ireland
Nikkismith

Re: "I'd like to go to Bethlehem to see the King "

Post by Nikkismith » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:34 am

I'd like to go to Bethlehem to see the King...I'd like to be with shepherds while the Angel's sing. Hear them tell of Jesus birth...news that soon will fill the earth...I'd like to go to Bethlehem to see the King. I sang this as my 1st solo as a child in elementary. The words came to me and I decided to look it up. Hadnt found anything but this. That was a beautiful song.
ChoirPerson

Post by ChoirPerson » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:52 pm

Our choir has sung this song twice. Originally (2012) we found this somewhere 'online' and manually transcribed the music. That recording has since disappeared. The composer's initials were J.E.P. This may be Joe Parks. At any rate the lyrics as we have them, can be found within this video [here]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL5AVFf1evw
No profit was made from our recording and all copyrights known or unknown - are acknowledged - The 'chorus' section was added by the choir director.
ChoirPerson

Post by ChoirPerson » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:09 am

Further on this song: Our choir is always careful to observe and comply with copyright - (we have an in-house CCLI # for example) - but THIS song seemed to be totally unavailable as far as purchase. We went to the only company that seemed to be offering the song - JW Pepper - and although 'I'D LIKE TO GO TO BETHLEHEM' was listed (by 'Parks')...it was no longer in stock and was not likely to be re-stocked according to the notice posted when applying to purchase copies of the song. So, when we sang it the second time this year (first time was in 2012, I believe) we used the hand-transcribed lyrics from the first performance along with a hand-transcribed music chart. Please note once again, that NO profit was made from our performance - just sung to the 'Glory of God'! It's a wonderful, simple tune and it's too bad it is no longer commercially-available. Here is the inactive listing on JW Pepper's website: https://www.jwpepper.com/1240977.item#/submit
regards, ChoirPerson