His Name Is Jesus - ISO Author

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
BKM84

His Name Is Jesus - ISO Author

Post by BKM84 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:27 am

I'm looking to find out who wrote an old hymn my mom used to sing. There are several songs named "His Name Is Jesus" but they don't seem to be the correct version. The first verse and chorus are below. If anyone can help me track down the author of this song I would be forever grateful.

'Twas just an old rugged tree they hung my blessed savior on
they placed upon his head a crown of piercing thorns
they nailed his hands and feet they mocked his name and made him weep
God sent his son to give life to you and me

His name is Jesus, oh precious Jesus
What a savior, what a friend, this man Jesus
What a sacrifice he made, he came to earth, man's soul to save
I love him so, oh praise his name, it's Jesus
BKM84

Re: His Name Is Jesus - ISO Author

Post by BKM84 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:06 am

AUTHOR FOUND! I just reached out to my Aunt and asked her about this song. She used to sing with my mom. She said my mom WROTE THIS SONG! I'm so excited!
steveliu
Site Admin

Post by steveliu » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:05 am

That's great! Was your mom a songwriter/hymn writer? I'd love to hear more about the story behind this hymn if your aunt knows it!
BKM84

Post by BKM84 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Yes!, the whole song is as follows:

'Twas just an old rugged tree they hung my blessed savior on
they placed upon his head a crown of piercing thorns
they nailed his hands and feet they mocked his name and made him weep
God sent his son to give life to you and me

'Twas just a tomb made of stone they placed my blessed savior in
They bound him in grave clothes and in front they rolled a stone
Yet in three days he arose oh such a victory had nare been known
'Twas God's own son and he had done the father's will

And now my soul is set free for Jesus cared enough for me
He gave his life he shed his blood on the tree
So that from sin we may be free and now can live eternally
In all the glories he has prepared for you and me

My mom's name is Connie Linn Stodden but she wrote this before she married in the 1970s as Connie L. Stephens. She and her sister Patty had a gospel group called the Stephens Sisters and they released and a record called "His Name is Jesus" (That should have been a giveaway that she wrote the song lol) They did lots of covers from the 1960s and 1970s as well. Later they formed the Stephens Trio when her brother Ed joined the group and they made another record called "The Stephens Trio". They used to sing all over the midwest at Gospel Jamborees and churches.

In 2010 my mom passed away from breast cancer at 55. However, before she passed I recorded some tracks with her. Over the pandemic, I've been having those recordings redone and I hope to release them soon. But I have to determine which ones were her originals and which ones were covers. I've found the authors for most of the songs we recorded together but there are a few I've been struggling with. I reached out to my Aunt Patty and she's helped fill in the gaps from what she remembers. She also told me that mom wrote "I'll always remember when I kneel" (I'll update my other post about this song) but that was after the Trio broke up. There was no drama in them breaking up the band, they all just started having kids and got busy with life. Growing up our family reunions always featured my mom at the piano and my Aunt and Uncle dusting off the old hymns. I'm hoping through this upcoming release I can let her original works live on.

Thank you again for your help in finding these authors. It means the world to me that I can do this in her memory.