Troublesome Waters

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
anna

Troublesome Waters

Post by anna » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:59 pm

Please if anyone knows..who wrote the song , Troublesome Waters?

Troublesome Waters

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:51 am

Dear Anna,

Troublesome waters is by Maybelle Carter, E. J. Carter, and Dixie Deen.

Yolanda
BassSinger64

Troublesome Waters

Post by BassSinger64 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:01 am

Now do you have the words?
L Estes

NO. 469 (In my Song list) TROUBLESOME WATERS

Words and music: Maybelle Carter, E J Carter, and Dixie Deen
Album: MY LIFE Performer: Iris DeMent
C F C
Troublesome waters much blacker than night
Am G
Are hiding from view the harbor's bright light.
C F C
Tossed on the turmoil of life's troubled sea
Am G C
I cried to my Saviour, "Have mercy on me."

Chorus:
F C
Then gently I'm feeling the touch of His hand
Am G
Guiding my boat in safely to land
C F C
Leading the way to heaven's bright shore
Am G C
Where troublesome waters I'm fearing no more.

2. Troublesome waters around me do roll,
They're rocking my boat and wrecking my soul.
Loved ones are drifting and living in sin,
The treacherous whirlpools are pulling them in.

3. When troublesome waters and rolling so high,
I lift up my voice and to heaven I cry,
"Lord, I am trusting, give guidance to me,
And steady my boat on life's troubled sea."-
TROUBLESOME WATERS
This is the version sang by Jessie Enloe, in the 1960's.

1. TROUBLESOME WATERS, ARE BLACKER THAN NIGHT,
HIDING FROM VIEW THE HARBOR'S BRIGHT LIGHTS,
OUT ON THE OCEAN I SEEM AS I SPEAK,
AWFUL SEA MONSTERS ARE WAITING MY WRECK.

Chorus:
GENTLY I FEEL THE TOUCH OF HIS HAND,
GUIDING MY BOAT TO THAT BETTER LAND,
LEADING THE WAY TO HEAVEN'S BRIGHT SHORE,
TROUBLESOME WATERS, I'M FEARING NO MORE.

2. TROUBLESOME WATERS, AROUND ME NOW ROLL,
ROCKING MY BOAT, AND TEMPTING MY SOUL,
LOVED ONES ARE DRIFTING AND LIVING IN SIN,
TREACHEOUS WHIRLPOOLS ARE PULLING THEM IN.

3. SIN WAVES ARE DASHING AND ROLLING SO HIGH,
OVER THEIR NOISE YOU CAN HEAR MY SAD CRY,
LORD, I AM TRUSTING, HAVE MERCY ON ME,
STEADY MY LIFE BOAT WHILE I AM AT SEA.

Troublesome Waters

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:55 pm

Troublesome waters was written by "Ernest Rippetoe"
listed in "Golden Key" Stamps-Baxter music & ptg.
copyright 1940
Music by mrs. J.B. Karnes

Troublesome Waters

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:44 am

The words to "Troublesome Waters" were by my grandmother MRS J. B. Karnes and published in the Stamp-Baxter Gospel songbook "Golden Key" in 1940. She also wrote "An Empty Mansion." The Maybell Carter version was ripped off from the songbook and some minor changes were made for the 1964 Johnny Cash album "I Walk The Line." Flatt and Scruggs also recorded the song in 1996. but the 1940 book is proof that both of these artist stold the song and gave credit to those who did not deserve it. The first known recording was in 1954 by Howard Seratt at Sun Records, where Johnny Cash was also a recording artist. He might have gotten the song there and to avoid paying royalties, named his in'laws as the authors. A previous post said Ernest Rippetoe wrote the song, but he wrote the music, so that post had the 2 names backwards. My aunt has all of the documentation and is considering a lawsuit in order to set the record straight.

Troublesome Waters

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:06 pm

How can we find a copy of the sheet music. Searched everywhere. Emalil at [email protected]
kmm1961

Re: Troublesome Waters

Post by kmm1961 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:05 pm

My great grandmother wrote Troublesome Waters. She also wrote An Empty Mansion. Her name was Beuna Ora Bryant Karnes. My mothers maiden name is Karnes and her father was the oldest of 12 children that my great grandmother had.
steveliu
Site Admin

Post by steveliu » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:29 am

Thanks so much for posting and for setting the record straight! (I see someone else in your family, perhaps one of your parents, also left a comment in 2012).

We'd love to hear more details of your great grandmother's story. The fact that people are still looking for the lyrics to the hymn she wrote so many years ago really speaks to how timeless the beautiful words are. I hope this site in its own little way can help you shed some more light on its history.

God bless,
Steve
Bluegrasscotty

Post by Bluegrasscotty » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:17 pm

My Great Grandmother Dottie Opal (Henley), Robertson used to sing this song in church when I was a boy growing up in the 1970’s & 1980’s.

Her daughter (my Grandmother), was Esther Lourrie (Robertson) Martin & she committed suicide in November of 1963. In the years of the late 1950’s & early 1960’s, she sang on the Ozarks Jubilee & other various early music t.v., programs. When she moved to Nashville her band members included Harold Morrison (played banjo on Blue Kentucky Girl by Emee Lou Harris), and Jimmy Gateley. However she began performing w/Mother Maybell & the Carter Sisters before her death.

My family has recordings of her singing songs she wrote “Dandy Gal”, (Don’t you think you got yourself a Dandy Gal?), just to name one. We also have pictures of her with Johnny Cash as June & him had just began dating at that time.

When my Grandmother took her life, not long after appearing & performing upon the stage at the Rhyman Auditorium with Mother Maybelle & the Carter Sisters. They shipped my Grandmother’s coffin along with her 2 sons & 2 daughters (2nd oldest was my Mother), back to Springfield, MO., for her burial in Douglas County Missouri.

In the days that followed her death, Mother Maybell & “Pop”, Carter came to my Great Grandparents home in Almartha, MO., to spend the day & brought toys, food & some money home for my family. In my grandmothers Funeral Register I’ve ready names such as Mr. & Mrs. Roy Acuff, Mr. & Mrs. Carl Smith & of course including Pop & Mother Maybelle Carter along with June and her sister.

In the months that followed my grandmothers death my Great Grandmother Dottie Robertson sent a copy of the lyrics “Troublesome Waters”, in to Johnny Cash. It appeared on the “B-Side”, on his next album release. I was always told he recorded that song out of respect for my late Grandmother Esther (Robertson), Martin, and to honor my Great Grandmother & Grandfather Mr. L.P. “Shorty”, Mrs. Dottie (Henley) Robertson.

Just a side note: I was always told that June had confided in my grandmother Esther about Johnny’s desire to kindle a romance w/June. Also that June had asked my late grandmother if “she thought it would be proper, accepted & understood in the country music business”, and I’m sure that “girl talk”, as well as told to me “Esther? Should I go out with Johnny?”, to which my grandmother replied “YES”!

However, back to “Troublesome Waters”, my Great Grandmother sang that song all my life until her own death in 1991. The lyrics by Mr. Enloe sound the closest to what my Great Grandmother sang. I’m sure that both versions have been altered. Example: In the chorus grandma sang “BUT, gently I feel the touch of his hand, guiding my boat throught this weary land”.

Whatever version, whomever wrote it, it is a wonderful & powerful song that blesses all of us & praises our Lord, Jesus Christ & Saviour. I enjoyed reading all your posts. Thank you.
HelloTabby

Post by HelloTabby » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:19 pm

Hello, I am producing a musical and would like to sing this song as part of the story. Does anyone know how I can find the copywright holder; or more importantly, who can speak on behalf of Mrs. Karnes for permission to perform. Possibly license? Thank you. I am listening to Carter/Cash version, but would likely want to stray away from that sound and recite it as a poem set to percussion. Thank you again very much.
Guest wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:44 am The words to "Troublesome Waters" were by my grandmother MRS J. B. Karnes and published in the Stamp-Baxter Gospel songbook "Golden Key" in 1940. She also wrote "An Empty Mansion." The Maybell Carter version was ripped off from the songbook and some minor changes were made for the 1964 Johnny Cash album "I Walk The Line." Flatt and Scruggs also recorded the song in 1996. but the 1940 book is proof that both of these artist stold the song and gave credit to those who did not deserve it. The first known recording was in 1954 by Howard Seratt at Sun Records, where Johnny Cash was also a recording artist. He might have gotten the song there and to avoid paying royalties, named his in'laws as the authors. A previous post said Ernest Rippetoe wrote the song, but he wrote the music, so that post had the 2 names backwards. My aunt has all of the documentation and is considering a lawsuit in order to set the record straight.