Tune for hymn "I feel the winds of God today"

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
chaslevy

Post by chaslevy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:55 am

This hymn is usually sung to Ralph Vaughan Williams' tune "Kingsfold". However, I remember singing it to an old Scottish tune which I remember, but whose name I have forgotten. Any help in finding the name or a recording of the hymn to that tune would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Charles

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Check out Youtube from the Strathroy United Church on June 3 2012 and you will hear I Feel the Winds of God Today by their choir. :)

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:17 pm

The Strathroy video is the wrong tune, Kingsfold, not the Scottish one. I don't know the name of it chaslevy but I can sing it in my sleep as it was the school hymn for St Denis & Cranley, Edinburgh. I keep looking but like you, always find the Kingsfold version not the Scottish one. The Church of Scotland hymnbook should have the name of the tune, but sadly I don't have one.
Susan

Re: Tune for hymn "I feel the winds of God today"

Post by Susan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:44 pm

Was the Scottish tune you were thinking of called Landas?
RosieJ

Post by RosieJ » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:33 pm

'I feel the winds of God today' was our school hymn at St Denis & Cranley School, Edinburgh, sung with great spirit to the tune Petersham.
JoDouglas

Post by JoDouglas » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:53 am

The Hymnary.org site suggest 3 tunes for "I Feel the Winds of God Today" - Kingsfold, Landas (Mount Vernon), and a Norwegian folk tune
if you go to this link: https://hymnary.org/search?qu=textAuthN ... gInstances
you should find an entry that gives the 3 possibilities
or just go to Hymnary.org and put in that first line I feel the winds of God today
The Norse version played on piano is not quite skippy enough but a lot closer to what I remember
Hope that helps
We sung it at a Quaker School in New Zealand NZ Friends School (long closed now) out of a green Presbyterian song book. It is the only hymn I loved enough to still sing.