"I Have Found Deep Peace"? - P.P.Bliss

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
r_k_tect

Post by r_k_tect » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:34 pm

I spent some time in France, and the hymn book (Les Ailes de la Foi) that they used had this song called "J'ai trouve la paix profonde", which roughly translated means "I Have Found Deep Peace". The music is attributed to P. B. Bliss, by which I assume they mean P. P. Bliss, and the words are attributed to Colonelle (Colonel) Malan. Does this song exist in English? I love the tune, and the words aren't bad either. With the help of Google Language Tools, I've translated the French into English, but it obviously doesn't have the meter and rhyme.

Here is my translation of the first verse and chorus:
1. I have found deep peace, I have found true happiness,
And grace like a wave Has purified my heart.
At the source of pure water, I have drawn full forgiveness,
And from all my wounds I received the cure.

Chorus:
I would like to see you my brother, Come to these living waters,
To enjoy already on the earth A heaven so perfect, so beautiful!

Here is the original French:

1. J'ai trouvé la paix profonde, J'ai trouvé le vrai bonheur,
Et la grâce comme une onde A purifié mon cœur.
A la source des eaus pures, J'ai puisé le plein pardon,
Et de toutes mes blessures J'ai reçu la guérison.

Chorus:
J'aimerais te voir mon frère, Venir à ces vives eaux.
Jouir déjà sur la terre D'un cíel si parfait, sí beau!

Since P. P. Bliss was an American hymnwriter of the 1800's, I expect he originally wrote the song in English, and Colonel Malan either translated the words into French or wrote new French words for the song. I realize it is a long shot, but if anybody knows the story on this, I'd really appreciate it.
steveliu
Site Admin

Post by steveliu » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:58 am

Hi R.K.

I believe "Colonel Malan" refers to Henri Abraham Cesar Malan, a famous French hymn writer. So it's highly probable that the hymn is written in the original French. My guess is that there is not an English translation, but I'll keep my eyes out in case :)

Thanks,
Steve
r_k_tect

Post by r_k_tect » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:35 am

"Merci Beaucoup" for the information, Steve. I'd never heard of Malan before.

It seemed like a number of the songs in the French hymn book had the same tunes as American hymns I was familiar with. Sometimes, the words were very similar and were obviously a translation, but others had words that were completely unrelated. In other words, they sang the song to the same tune as a hymn known in America, but it was a totally different song. That could be the case here, but I have never heard another song sung to this tune.

Here is a midi file of the music: http://louange.org/Fichiers/midi/hymne/ ... /AF212.mid
vincent.boulanger

Re: "I Have Found Deep Peace"? - P.P.Bliss

Post by vincent.boulanger » Mon May 29, 2023 1:28 am

I had the same question, I found the answer on Hymnary
The Bliss tune is "Will you meet me at the foutain" https://hymnary.org/tune/will_you_meet_ ... tain_bliss
There's other texts and translations associated with that tune, see the link