Looking for an old Christmas Song - Once in a manger lowly hundreds of years ago

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
jevans

Looking for an old Christmas Song - Once in a manger lowly hundreds of years ago

Post by jevans » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:41 pm

Many years ago, when i was a kid in school, we learned a song for a Christmas program. No idea of the name; but i still remember quite a bit of the song:

Once in a manger lowly hundreds of years ago
a little babe so holy came to this world below.
Near was a crowded city, Bethlehem dark and low
here Joseph sought for pity, chill was the night and cold.

Chorus:
Angels sang out the sweet story, fear not for lo this morn
Jesus the Christ of Glory, a little babe is born.

Joseph and Mary weary, no one would take them in
slept in a stable dreary, nigh to a crowded inn.
Out on the hillside frightened shepherds beheld the sight
for all the sky was lighted on that first Christmas night.

chorus again

Far from the east three strangers, led by a star they say
kept safely from great danger seeking the . . . . . .(unknown)
Came to the manger lowly, bringing their gifts of love.
Worshipped the babe so holy, gift fro the world above

(i know there is at least one more verse)

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:20 am

My great grandmother used to sing this song. My grandmother has a recording of her on cassette tape of her singing it and I plan to write down the lyrics while we play it this year. I'm so glad you have shared what you remember of the lyrics, though. It's a shame such a wonderful song is nearly lost to time.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:21 am

BTW I think the sing is called "once in a manger lowly"

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:20 pm

Third verse correction:

Far from the east three strangers, led by a star, their way
kept safely from great danger seeking the Christ they say.

Final Chorus:
Glory to God in the highest. Peace and good will to men.
Glory to God in the highest. Ever amen, amen.

Post by Guest » Fri May 30, 2008 2:48 am

I was trying to recall the lyrics to this favorite childhood song. As I recall it had a very pretty organ background (at least the way it was done with the children's choir in our church.) I am also certain that Once in a Manger Lowly IS the name of the song. You have the verses right, as far as I can remember. Below is the chorus.

Angels sang out the sweet story. Fear not for low this morn
swaddled in garments of glory. Jesus the King is Born
Glory to God in the highest. Peace to men of good will
Glory to God in the highest. Peace to men of good will.

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks,

Does anyone know where I can find the music for this lovely carol?

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:39 pm

Marilyn Horne does a wonderful version of this on the CD that she does with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir - it's truly a gem. I love it so much I was moved to write a 4th verse - use it if it reaches you. "Hard was the road He traveled, weary and steep and long, but in his heart He always carried that angel song. Though we may not behold Him until our lives are through, whenever we hear His story, joy fills our hearts anew..." I sing it with my autoharp - works wonderfully. Chuck Schacht

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:22 pm

You can listen to this song here: http://mediaplayer.yahoo.com/contplay/i ... 2F24579408

And thank you so very much, Chuck! I am so thrilled to know the proper name for this song. I have been searching for years for this!

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:01 pm

I was taught this song by my English teacher who came from Hawaii in junior high school in Japan almost 30 years ago.

Nigh to a crowded city,Bethlehem dark and cold.
There Joseph in pity ,chill was the night and cold

Far from the east three strangers ,led by a star that way
Kept safely from all danger ,seeking the Christ they say

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:32 pm

I was taught this song from my Dad, his family was Irish Out in the east three strangers, led by a star there way, kept safely from all danger seeking their Christ they said & last chorus is Glory to god in the highest peace on earth to men, glory to god in the highest peace on earth to men