Looking for lyrics~song title - Oh the Lord told Joshua go to Jericho

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
straitpaisley

Post by straitpaisley » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:42 am

Looking for a song title & lyrics to a song my husband sang when he was very young. He said that it started out (he thinks)

Oh the Lord told Joshua go to Jericho and march 7 times around...

Thanks!
straitpaisley

Post by straitpaisley » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:50 pm

The chorus has:

and the walls came tumbling down (tumbling down)
whiteyowhite

Post by whiteyowhite » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:22 pm

You can go to youtube and listen to Mahalia Jackson sing this song

The name is Joshua fit de battle of Jericho

It is a Negro Spiritual!

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks! That is a good song but that is not the one he is thinking of

It was more a southern gospel...

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:53 am

does it say something like this

the lord told joshau to go to jericho and to march 7 times around, he gladly listened and obeyed the lords comand and the walls came tumbleing down

if you believe in the power of the blood and you hope to wear a crown just follow safley and obey the lords command walls of doubt will tumble down

and the walls and the walls came tumbleing down joshau joshau marched 7 times around and the walls and the walls came tumbleing down and the walls came tumbleing down . i think that is some of how it goes. Hope it is some of what you are looking for
krobe03

Post by krobe03 » Sat May 08, 2010 6:28 am

Chrous: Joshua fought the battle of Jericho, Jericho,Jericho, Joshusa fought the battle of Jericho and the walls came tumbling down.

Soloist: You may talk about your man of Gideon, you may talk about your man of Saul, theres none like good old Joshua at the battle of Jericho.

Chrous repeats same as first time.

Soloist: Well up to the walls of Jericho, he marched with a spear in hand, go blow those ram horns Joshua cried cause the battle in my hands. Let me tell you now;

Chrous repeats same as first time.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:30 am

straitpaisley - you are looking for a song called "Joshua" that was sung by a group called Sonlight and was on an album by them back in the 70s or early 80s. i have been unable to find anything online about them at all. i only know this answer because i remember listening to it way back then. hope this helps.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:57 am

If my memory serves correctly, my mother sang this when I was growing up at church, and usually the chorus had a couple of people singing it like a repeat where I have marked ( ). Not sure what the title is, but here it goes.

Verse 1) The Lord told Joshua to go to Jericho and to march seven times around. He followed safely and obeyed the Lord's command and the walls came tumbling down.

Chorus) And the walls(and the walls)(and the walls) came tumbling down
Joshua (Joshua)(Joshua) marched seven times around
And the walls(and the walls)(and the walls) came tumbling down
And the walls came tumbling down.

Verse 2)
If you believe in the power of the cross and you hope to wear a crown, just follow safely and obey the Lord's command walls of doubt will tumble down.