fifteen hundred miles long

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:45 am

Many thanks--I have had this page bookmarked for years.
I heard a much more primitive version of it that I liked better but this is quite good.

Post by Guest » Sat May 21, 2011 10:42 pm

when you do the math in revealatioins, chapter 19 and 20. you can figure out the axact size of this holy city of GOD!

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:09 am

Here is the complete song!

********** 1500 miles long************

chorus
John tells of a city fifteen hundred miles long
Coming down out of Heaven room for everyone

The name of that city is New Jerusalem
The name of that city is New Jerusalem

They tell me there's a river flowing from throne
They tell me there's a river flowing from throne
It flows on through that city fifteen hundred miles long

chorus

additional lyrics truncated to conform to copyright holder's wishes

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:31 pm

any piblishing this song in any form is breaking the copy written law ,for it belongs to PHYLLIS RAY REED ,WHO WROTE THIS SONG ,BEFOR SHE DIED ,IAM HER DAUGHTER JOHNNA REED ,AND IM NOT PLEASED TO SEE THIS ,THIS IS BREAKING PRIVACY LAWS ,THIS IS NO PRANK THIS IS REAL ,JOHNNA REED @ 1 606 358 3053 .

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:43 am

I don't think anyone means to break the laws... most of it is just church people wanting to sing the song in church and the youtube videos are usually just church singing... no one makes money off of these videos or singing it in church....I know our church purchased a license through CCLI (Christian Copyright Licensinging) which supposedly allows us to sing the songs out of hymnals and by writers in the church service, allows us to post to live streaming, youtube, or podcasts and we make no money off of this... it is just a tool to try to witness and to introduce people to our worship.... I have not personally sang this song, but it is an awesome song and it is a very big compliment that churches are singing this to your mother.... as if no one sang the song, it would never be heard by anyone. what would you like people to do in order to sing the song in church or put it on youtube are you asking them to pay you some money? I was just wondering in case we ever wanted to do it at our church, as it is a beautifully written song...
steveliu
Site Admin

Post by steveliu » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:22 am

Dear Johnna:

I only just saw your note here, and I also see that you've posted quite a number of comments on YouTube videos of your mother's song.

While most hymn writers and their families that comment on this forum tend to express joy that their songs are remembered and being discussed and sung, I do take reports from copyright owners very seriously, and so I've edited the posts above so that only a small portion of your mother's original lyrics appear. This, plus the educational nature of this site, should put the usage squarely in the category of "fair use" of US copyright law. I hope this alleviates your concerns as far as this site is concerned.

That said, as Guest (the previous poster) wrote, it would help tremendously if you could provide the readers here with suggestions on how they can purchase the full lyrics and sheet music to your mother's song in a way that your family receives proper royalties.

As Guest also wrote, if you haven't done so already something you should do is join CCLI to make sure that holders of CCLI licenses compensate you for use of the song in church and video streaming performances.

I also presume that you are properly receiving royalties from the artist Chris Johnston, but if not please let us know and I'll remove the link to his album above.

One last piece of advice. While I understand the frustration at seeing your mom's song sung all over YouTube without your permission, bear in mind that practically none of those people are profiting financially from their performances. For the most part, they were moved by your mother's words and just wanted to share them with the world as she did. For what it's worth, my recommendation would be as I stated above: let them (and the readers of this site) know the proper ways they can purchase sheet music, full lyrics, and authorized recordings and perform the song in a way that your family gets its proper royalties. It would be a shame if this beautiful song were to disappear forever.

Thanks,
Steve

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:40 am

the song im looking for is by a woman from the 80's .. and the only few lines i can remember is 1500 hundred miles ahh 1500 hundred miles golden city
if someone happens to know please let me know who sings it and the name thankyou [email protected]
cheemsih

Re: fifteen hundred miles long

Post by cheemsih » Wed May 25, 2022 11:25 pm

Betty Jean Robinson sings this song, titled Fifteen hundred miles long, but I found the right title to this song and it's: "John tells OF A CITY"

John tells OF A CITY

John tells OF A CITY FIFTEEN HUNDRED MILES LONG,
John tells OF A CITY FIFTEEN HUNDRED MILES LONG
COMING DOWN OUT OF HEAVEN ROOM FOR everyone

THE NAME OF THAT CITY NEW JERUSALEM,
THE NAME OF THAT CITY IS NEW JERUSALEM
IT'S COMING DOWN OUT OF HEAVEN ROOM FOR everyone

They TELL me THERE'S A RIVER FLOWING FROM THE THRONE,
yes they TELL me OF A RIVER FLOWING FROM THE THRONE
IT FLOWS ON THROUGH THAT CITY FIFTEEN HUNDRED MILES LONG

They tell OF A KING SITTING ON HIS SNOW WHITE THRONE
they tell me OF A KING SITTING ON HIS SNOW WHITE THRONE