Page 1 of 2
sign on the highway
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:49 am
by joypeg60
need the song that has "asgn on the highway the scene of the crash" It's an oldie that my mother used to sing
sign on the highway
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:09 pm
by Guest
The Wreck On the Highway
Iheard the crash on the highway
I knew what it was from the start
I went to the scsne of distruction
a picture was stamped on my heart
there whiskey and blood ran together,
Mixed with the glass where they lay
I heard the moans of the dying,
but I didn't hear no one pray.
chorus
I didn't hear nobody pray dear brother
I didn't hear no body pray
I saw the crash on the highway
but I didn't hear no one pray.
who did you say it was brother?
who was it that fell by the way?
when whiskey and blood ran together
did you hear any one pray?
thier soul''s had been called by the master,
They died of a crash on the highway,
Deeath laid it's hand in destruction
But I didn't hear any body pray.
God Bless you Prehrldy
sign on the highway
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:54 pm
by Guest
Thank you for your answer but that is not the song. I know that song and Hank Williams Sr. did that one. The song I'm looking for also has the lines " the People to let the hearse pass. the sign board read beer, wine and whiskey for sale just ahead. I'm not sure that it would be classifided as a hynm but i couldn't find it anywhere else so thought I would try. Thank you again.
sign on the highway
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:51 am
by Guest
The sign on the highway the scene of the crash, the people pulled over to let the hearse pass, it might have been different if the sign hadn't read, beer wine and whiskey for sale just ahead. While driving for pleasure one night in their car , they pulled off the highway and drank at the bar, ----------------- then 2 hours later the couple had died. Somewhere a mother is crying tonight, the face of her darling has vanished fron sight ----------------------
sign on the highway
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:05 pm
by Guest
See on the sign by the highway my friend
Twas nearest the scene brought two lives to an end
A boy and his sweetheart pulled near when they read
Beer wine and whiskey for sale just ahead.
Somewhere a mother is crying tonight
The smile of her daughter has faded from sight
All might have been different if the sign had not read
Beer wine and whiskey for sale just ahead
The sign on the highway, the scene of the crash
The people pulled over to let the hearse pass
All might have been different if the sign had not read
Beer wine and whiskey for sale just ahead
This is all I remember
sign on the highway
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:18 pm
by Guest
I think the chorus was
Chorus
The sign on the Highway its colors so bright
Brings back a memory of that fatal night
To me it's a warning , that all should realize,
Death is a rare one with a drunker who drives
sign on the highway
Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:10 pm
by Guest
The Sign On the Highway by Odell McLeod, copywrite 1949 by Acuff-Rose
I used to listen to my daddy sing this. Words taken from Daddy's old notebook.
See yonder sign on the highway, my friend
Twas near it the crash brought two lives to an end
A boy and his sweetheart stopped near when he read,
Beer, wine, and whiskey, for sale just ahead.
Chorus: The sign on the highway, the scene of the crash
The people pulled over to let the hearse pass
Their bodies were found ner the sign board that read
Beer, wine, and whiskey, for sale just ahead.
While riding for pleasure that night in his cr
They pulled off the highway and drank at the bar
And joined in the laugher, their spirits so high
Then two hours later the couple had died.
The sign on the highway in colors so bright
Brings back the story of that fatal night
To me it's a warning and all should realize
That death surely rides with the drinker who drives.
Somewhere a mother is weeping tonight
The smile of her darling has vanished from sight
It might have been different if the sign had not read
Beer, wine, and whiskey, for sale just ahead.
sign on the highway
Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:18 am
by Guest
Well, here it is 2014. Doubt any one reads this, but oh well.
I remember listening to this when I was very young (I'm 67 now). The problem is, I believe, you have the name very slightly wrong. It is "The Sign By the Highway", not "The Sign On the Highway". I made this same mistake, and kept finding Roy Acuff's recording, which I already had.
The one you're looking for is by Little Jimmy Dickens and can be found on his "Country Boy" box set.
sign on the highway
Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:28 am
by Guest
I have heard this sung by Hank Williams also. Great song.
sign on the highway
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:23 pm
by Guest
OMG, my Mother used to sing this all the time, just by chance, I googled it, because I have never heard anyone, but my Mother sing it, remember every word,
brings back memories