When lamps are lighted in the town, the fishermen at sea

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:28 pm

If the teacher ever allowed us to choose a hymn we always chose this at Bracebridge Heath Lincoln primary school in the late 40s,we loved it.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Appreciate the lyrics; I only recalled the first verse, actually the first two lines and recalled them a little differently:

When lamps are lighted in the town
The fisher folks awake

Don't know if the second line is misremembered but it's stuck in my head that way.

We learned it before we could read; it was in my first year at school, which was at Denton Road School, Newcastle upon Tyne. We would have had to memorise the words, as best we could. There was lots of sea fishing only about ten miles away, on the N.E. coast.

I wish I knew the tune.
Joy Elliott

Re: When lamps are lighted in the town, the fishermen at sea

Post by Joy Elliott » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks so much for this. I've been trying to remember the opening lines of this hymn for ages!

We also sang at my primary school in the 1940's: Daisies are our silver, buttercups our gold; This is all the treasure we can have or hold.
danalottah

Post by danalottah » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:14 pm

Like an earlier poster I remember singing this hymn at Friarage Infants School. I was there in 1954 when there was a big lifeboat disaster where three lifeboatmen ( they were also fishermen of course) lost their lives. Our school was at the centre of the fishing community in Scarborough and we had a special assembly at which this hymn was sung. I was too young to really understand of course but I can remember the emotionally charged atmosphere. These men had done a night's fishing and then been summoned from their beds to man the lifeboat, when a storm broke and they assisted several vessels before heading back to harbour, where they were hit broadside. I remember those brave men whenever I think of this little hymn.
Boakesey

Post by Boakesey » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:55 am

Guest wrote: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:48 pm Hi!
Don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a copy of the musical score for this hymn?
It was my favourite when I was in Primary School and I'd like to teach it to my kids now.
Thanks.
It was my favourite, too.
Photos here that might help:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/boakesey/ ... datetaken/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/boakesey/ ... datetaken/
Sorry it's only the melody, but it says it's an old tune reused, so maybe someone will recognise it.
Dawnyg23

Post by Dawnyg23 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:22 am

Just done a search for this and found your post. When I was bought the new blue Songs of Praise hymn book, I opened it out and this hymn stood out as it was to do with the sea. I hummed my way through it but we never sang it at school until years later. I realised I’d been singing the right tune all along. It was number 458 or thereabouts. The hymn also reminds me of going to Lowestoft on holiday to see my relatives and uncle who was a fisherman. Such a lovely memory and by the look of things, we are not on our own.
Julia Ellis

Post by Julia Ellis » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:53 pm

I love this hymn too, I remember singing this hymn to Miss Smith at Greville High School, Alcester, when I was 11 years old, hoping to join the choir. I arrived promptly at 1pm just after lunch, to sing to my Music teacher Miss Smith, who accompanied me on her piano. I really enjoyed singing the lovely melody and I love the words, I have never forgotten that very brief opportunity, I was given. I'm sure Miss Smith has though as my singing wasn't the best however, I really enjoyed trying and remember that time and song fondly. We also sang the hymn at Sunday School at St Nicholas Church Alcester.
Fishermens Mission

Post by Fishermens Mission » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:38 am

This beautiful hynm was memorised as a poem by Children in Grimsby , many of whom at the time had Dads, Brothers and others out at sea, we use it in the poem format at our service to the lost fishermen read by our longest service volunteer who was one of those children, we continue to lose fishermen on average 10 a year, please continue to keep them in your prayers.
From Grimsby Fishermens Mission MAO
Clairebear

Post by Clairebear » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:05 pm

Used to sing this hymn at St. Minver primary school (1960s) near the North Cornish coast. Brilliant hymn.
Heatherbob

Post by Heatherbob » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:03 pm

Absolutely brilliant!
I could always remember the first verse but struggled with the others. I used to sing this hymn in church when I was 8 years old. I am now 66.
Knowing all the words brings back many happy memories.
Thank you