Church in the wildwood

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
marykay

Church in the wildwood

Post by marykay » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:59 am

I'm looking for a hymn i remember singing in a methodist church approx 45 yr ago --

I remember "oh come to the church in the wildwood, oh come to the church in the vale" and "oh come, come, come..."

thank you for searching!
SingerForGod

Church in the wildwood

Post by SingerForGod » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:09 am

The Church in the Wildwood
by Dr. William S. Pitts

There's a church in the valley by the wildwood,
No lovelier spot in the dale;
No place is so dear to my childhood
As the little brown church in the vale.

Chorus

Oh, come, come, come, come,

Come to the church in the wildwood,
Oh, come to the church in the vale;
No spot is so dear to my childhood
As the little brown church in the vale.

Second Stanza
Oh, come to the church in the wildwood,
To the trees where the wild flowers bloom;
Where the parting hymn will be chanted,
We will weep by the side of the tomb.

Chorus

Third Stanza
How sweet on a clear Sunday morning,
To list to the clear ringing bell;
Its tones so sweetly are calling,
Oh come to the church in the vale.

Chorus

Fourth Stanza
From the church in the valley by the wildwood,
When day fades away into night,
I would fain from this spot of my childhood
Wing my way to the mansions of light.

Chorus
SingerForGod

Church in the wildwood

Post by SingerForGod » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:16 am

This is supposedly the history of "Little Brown Church in the Vale" and thought it might be of interest to the poster and others.

Song History

William Pitts was on his way to visit his bride-to-be in Fredericksburg, Iowa. The stagecoach in which he rode stopped at Bradford, 14 miles west of Fredricksburg. There he strolled about enjoying the trees, the lush green growth and the gentle rolling hills as he anticipated the joy of seeing his beloved.

Of particular beauty was a wooded area in the valley formed by the Cedar River. Pitts envisioned a church building there and could not seem to ease the vision from his mind. Days later, when he returned home, he wrote a poem about the imagined church and set it to music in 1857.

Pitts returned to Bradford Academy to teach music seven years later. To his surprise he discovered a small church building being erected on the very spot where he had imagined a church years before. It was painted brown because that was the color of the cheapest paint to be had.

Pitts located the copy of his almost forgotten song, and, at the dedication of the new church building, his singing class from the academy sang it for the first time.

In 1865, Pitts sold the song to a Chicago music publisher for $25. He used the money to enroll in Rush Medical College, but his song was forgotten. After graduation in 1868, Pitts returned to Fredericksburg where he practiced medicine until his retirement in 1906.

By the turn of the century, the village of Bradford had almost ceased to exist. It had been bypassed by the railroad that went through Nashua, two miles to the west. Weeds grew in the churchyard, and the dilapidated building was closed.

A few years later the congregation experienced revival, the church was opened and re-painted its original color. Traveling musicians discovered Pitts's song, and its popularity spread through the country.

The Little Brown Church in the Vale has become a famous tourist attraction in Iowa, and the song describing its beauty is still sung. Standing in a picturesque rural setting among pine trees, the church is a favored place for weddings.

Each year several hundred couples, young and old, are married there. Following the ceremony, each bride and groom together pull the rope that rings the church bell.

More information about the church can be obtained at this site or call 641-435-2027.
RANDOM ACTIONS

Re: Church in the wildwood

Post by RANDOM ACTIONS » Fri May 05, 2023 10:09 pm

I KNOW THIS SONG WELL AS I HAVE SUNG IT IN CHURCH SINCE CHILDHOOD. BUT I HAVE HEARD RECORDINGS ESPECIALLY ON TV WHERE THE SINGERS USED DIFFERENT REFRAINS FOR EACH VERSE OF THE ORIGINAL. DOES ANYONE KNOW OR HAVE THE LYRICS FOR THAT VERSION OF THE SONG?

RLP

Post by Guest » Tue May 09, 2023 8:53 am

I think that's the name of the forum title "Church in the Wildwood" by Dolly Parton. The lyrics of the song are so beautiful
ceebird

Post by ceebird » Mon May 15, 2023 5:04 pm

Might be this one your looking for
The Old Country Church
Has different songs for chorus

https://youtu.be/b6xZ3k7yHNM