"When You Come to the End of a Perfect Day'

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:37 am

I guess some of us on this blog have or had older parents. I too was up late and heard Sterling Holloway singing this song from the movie - and my husband had already gone to bed and I woke him up telling him this is that song - it's that song!!! I had only heard it sung by my dear departed mother five years earlier. She had started remembering some childhood songs her mother had sung to her when she was a little girl and I ask her to sing them for me. This was one of them. But my mothers mother had died in childbirth when mom was only about 6 years old, so that would have been sometime before 1924. Anyway - the words were the same except I think Mother had rememberd the last line (unless she just heard it this way or remembered it this way, as "do you think at the end of a perfect day - what love you may impart." I always took that as being important as to what love you might impart to someone else - that's what was important. If anyone is interested - the other song her mother sang to her was "There's a Long Road a Winding."

I find a great deal of comfort in these songs and my mothers memory.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:56 pm

My Mother dressed my brother and me up as old people, and had us sing this song for some event at church, when we were about 7 and 9 years old. (Baby powder in the hair I remember.) I really hope it was not a funeral because any singing that comes from me is pretty funny. I'm 70 now so you can do the math.
Keedee

Post by Keedee » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:54 pm

I also fell in love when first hearing this song in the movie, Remember The Night. I finally found it on the web. Hope I'm able to share it here. It was so nice reading this post.

Perfect Day by Jo Stafford and Gordon MacRae

http://www.soundlantern.com/UpdatedSoun ... ToId=34838

(If this link doesn't work just go to Soundlantern.com and do a search for Perfect Day or Jo Stafford)
jaydel

Post by jaydel » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:41 pm

thanks kee dee,

I wish I could get a copy as sung by "Sterling Holloway" and the cast in "Remember the Night"

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:16 am

'there is a music store in Idaho Falls Idaho that has the most incredible collection of sheet music. Just Google Idaho Falls and Music Store gsg

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:02 am

I am only on this website because tonight I was remembering how my father, who would be 106 this year, used to sing this song as he drove me home from the swim club in the evening. He was raised a Methodist, and always sang the old songs as he drove. I wanted to know the lyrics, which is why I googled it. The ones I have seen so far do not seem familiar. I do remember the tune and my father's voice singing it, however.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:22 am

We sang this song at our Nurses Graduation in 1981. Matron taught it to us. I will never forget the night, we stood on stage holding our lit candles, the lights were dimmed, and we sang this song.
what a beautiful memory I have....and I still have my candle.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:51 am

Did the Chuck Wagon Gang sing this hymn?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:33 am

I'm italian, just listened to this beautiful song in the movie Remember the night. I think it is a great lesson for thanking for every day life. It will be difficult to find the score in Italy. Can anybody help me suggesting any web site with this musical score or even old english-american old songs, which are very often marvellous melodies. Thanks and greetings from Italy!

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:19 am

Sterling Holloway sand this! In Remember the Night! I CRIED when i first saw him sing that. It is sucha beautiful version. I really want to get it on my Ipod but sadly....they dont have it on Itunes. Anyway i love it thanks!