"When You Come to the End of a Perfect Day'

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:05 am

Fascinating....all of this. I am currently living in China, with my husband is the principal of a high school within a traditional Chinese high school. There are few Westerners living here and often my afternoon is spent again alone following some idea or thread on the internet. Today I was thinking about a new fried and the lyrics of this song came wafting from distance memories of my father singing this with his barbershop group and also remembering being at Girl Scout Camp St. Albans on the Olympic Penninsula in Washington State. On the last night of a camp session the oldest girls would traditionally row up and down the lake, serenading the campers.

I Googled the lyrics and have spent the afternoon happily exploring the history and covers of this lovely song. By the way, the song is not a hymn in the traditional sense of the word....but rather one of the most lovely tunes and lyrics written by Miss Bond.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:17 pm

anyone know where to listen to Anna Case version? :)

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:30 am

I want to point out that this is not a 'hymn,' but rather it was a popular song by Carrie Jacobs Bond. Written in 1910, it was one of the best sellers of it's day. However, it had nothing to do with church. It was my grandmother's favorite song, and she had an original copy of the sheet music, which I have today.

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:38 pm

I too fell in love with the song while watching Remember the Night on TCM. Googled the song and heard a few folks versions but no one sings it as beautifully as Sterling Holloway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F391_23ysbU
Roger Wisegarver

Re: "When You Come to the End of a Perfect Day'

Post by Roger Wisegarver » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:03 pm

Free original sheet music may be downloaded at . . . https://digitalcommons.conncoll.edu/sheetmusic/1184/
christheold

Post by christheold » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:33 am

Many years ago, Boy Scouts in Australia used to sing this, but the second line was something like "and you sit in the campfire's glow". After all these years, I can't remember any more: can anybody else remember?
book1023

Post by book1023 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:44 pm

In my recent searching for the lyrics and such for the hymn A Perfect Day, I found the sheet music as an external link on Wikipedia for this song.