I cannot come to the banquet

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:48 pm

As to where to buy a reasonable recording, http://store.augsburgfortress.org/store ... Found=true

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:16 am

I am thrilled to find the lyrics to this song again. We used to sing it during our Christian Youth evening prayers at college. It was out of the Uganda Youth Praise (UYP) book, but sadly later versions of the UYP book do not contain it, and I could not lay my hands on an old copy - I would pay $100 for it, but it was no where to be seen. So thank you very much for making this available, it brings back all those special memories when christianity was taking root into my life!

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for this word. We use to sing it in schools in the 80's and early 90's in Pojoss Koforidua, Ghana.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:31 pm

Thank you for availing the wonderful sunday school hymn, we use to sing this in the 80's when still in sunday school. I struggled with the lyrics last as I tried teaching it to my 6 year old boy. I so thankful to find the whole song right here with more verses. During our days we only had verses 1 & 4. Thanks be to God for availing this this wounderful song through your site.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 am

So happy to find this song. Brings back memories of evening prayer in high school

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Now that I've found the lyrics, we'll be singing it at Awana in Muskoka Lakes, Ontario, Canada this week as we teach the parable of Jesus from Matthew 22.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Did anyone else sing "I have bought me a wife, I have married a cow"? We used to sing it that way and I have a hard time NOT singing it that way!

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Just remembered my sweet childhood in Jos, Plateau state. My elder brother was in the choir, they used to sing this song beautifully, with other songs by Handel. I always thought G.F Handel composed this too.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:06 pm

I remember having to sing this during assembly at primary school in Singapore. The teachers got quite angry when more and more of us started switching "wife" and "cow" in the refrain.
Thank you very much for posting the words. It's a fun song to sing, but something about the hymn always bothered me: The master of the house only invites the poor to his house after his rich friends turned him down. Perhaps he just needed a life event to help him see the poor and he helped them out thereafter.

Post by Guest » Fri May 09, 2014 11:13 am

We were having a camp with Bishop Dag who preached and taught us on this GREAT SUPPER parable. "The HOST didn't listen to the invited guests EXCUSES" all he wanted was A FULL House and FULL house he had in the end. May also not give excuses or listen to the many excuse for not doing what we supposed to do. Remain blessed people.