Page 1 of 1

Need lyrics to "God has not promised skies always blue"

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:12 pm
by Dara
My mother is terminally ill with cancer. She lies in a half awake, half asleep state most the time now. The other day she began to hum in a barely audible voice and when my dad asked what she was singing she said, "God has not promised skies always blue". I don't remember the rest of the song but it was popular in probably the 60s and 70s. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Need lyrics to "God has not promised skies always blue"

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:18 am
by Guest
You can get the tune on cyberhymnal.org if you want to sing it to her.

God hath not promised skies always blue,
Flower strewn pathways all our lives through;
God hath not promised sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow, peace without pain.

Refrain

But God hath promised strength for the day,
Rest for the labor, light for the way,
Grace for the trials, help from above,
Unfailing sympathy, undying love.

God hath not promised we shall not know
Toil and temptation, trouble and woe;
He hath not told us we shall not bear
Many a burden, many a care.

Refrain

God hath not promised smooth roads and wide,
Swift, easy travel, needing no guide;
Never a mountain rocky and steep,
Never a river turbid and deep.

Refrain

Need lyrics to "God has not promised skies always blue"

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:04 pm
by Dara
Thank you, guest. u r a lifesaver.

Need lyrics to "God has not promised skies always blue"

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:27 am
by Guest
This is a wonderful uplift to those who are in despair Kathleen England (U K)

Need lyrics to "God has not promised skies always blue"

Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:59 pm
by Guest
See Cyberhymnal.org for tune http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/w/h/whatgodh.htm

Words: An­nie J. Flint, 1919.

Music: Will­iam M. Run­yan, 1919 (MI­DI, score).

Need lyrics to "God has not promised skies always blue"

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:01 am
by Guest
Your messages are God sent. I am trying to get my wife here from the Philippines. We have run into many barriers from our Govt, which are probably justified for those trying to come as fraud. But we both love the Lord and my wife was becoming discouraged, so I started singing her this song. I only got part way thru the first verse and couldn't remember all the words, so I Googled it. Thanks to you, I found it and called her back on Skype and sang it to her. We both cried. Thank you for letting God use you to meet some special needs. May God bless you especially good for your unfailing kindness, from His undying love! Jim and Novy Froese

Need lyrics to "God has not promised skies always blue"

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:49 pm
by Guest
I appreciate this "spot" on the internet. I have been thinking of this song for a couple of days and was glad to FINALLY FIND THE WORDS.
I had heard it YEARS AGO in Arkansas - Arthalene Rippy (remarried now) sang it and actually I believe it was recorded by the GOODMANs, but I did not know where to get my hands on the words TODAY !!!
Thank you, and God Bless you!
ellen, 74
New Orleans

Need lyrics to "God has not promised skies always blue"

Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:17 pm
by Guest
I have had this poem on a bookmark in my Bible since I was a teenager. I am now 75 years young & have never forgotten this poem. I never knew it had been adapted as a hymn. Now I have 2 friends that desperately need to read this. Thank God I have found it.
Marilyn
Miami, FL

Need lyrics to "God has not promised skies always blue"

Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:05 am
by Guest
An old song but still so comforting. Tks for providing the lyrics.

J Chua

Need lyrics to "God has not promised skies always blue"

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:24 pm
by Guest
My mother wrote this poem in my autograph book when I was ten . Autograph books were the fashion in school fifty years ago. At the time I thought "what a strange thing to write in an autograph book", but throughout my life I have come to realise the truth and comfort of these words. My granddaughter will be seven and I wanted to place a copy in the Bible I am giving her, but I can't find my autograph book. Thanks for coming to my rescue as I now have all the words.