In a manger lowly

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

In a manger lowly

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:17 pm

Growing up there was a song always sung at midnight mass on christmas eve. I know it was called "In a Manger Lowly" because I was in the choir and sang it every year. Here are the lyrics:

In a manger lowly, sleeps the heav'nly child
O'er him fondly bending Mary Mother mild

Then haste and let us welcome
with joyous happy lay
the infant King of Glory born for us today.

come to bethlehem come and see
him who's birth we sing
come adore on bended knee
christ the newborn king

Then haste...

I would love to find this recording or the sheet music. Thanks!

In a manger lowly

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:50 pm

I sang it with the choir too, the last time being at Midnight Mass on 12/24/65. I don't think I have heard it since. That was the last pre-Vatican II Midnight Mass I attended.
I can't find anything on thys Hymn as of yet other than your post. I'll keep digging. Kinda sad that it appears to have almost completely disappeared...

In a manger lowly

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:59 pm

On the subject of old Catholic Hymns, here is another one our choir sang back then. I can't find it anywhere either.

IN OLD JUDEA

1. In Old Judea, amid the plains afar,
My eyes behold a brightly shining star;
Bathed in the splendor that floods the eastern skies,
Within a manager, a sleeping Baby lies.
Though meek and lowly, a radiance holy
Illumes the place with wondrous light;
While on the hillside, and in the valley,
The angel host sings through the night:

Chorus:
“Glory to God, all Glory to God!
Voices exhaltingly ring;
Peace and Good Will in the hearts of men,
Hail to the New Born King!
Hail to the New Born King!”

2. In old Judea, where Christ, the Lord, was born,
In Bethlehem, that blessed Christmas morn;
The stars still shining, in beauty overhead,
On all the world its loving beams are shed.
The crimson glory of Calv'ry's story
Is hallowed by its softened glow,
While all the people of earth are singing
The angels' song of long ago: Chorus

In a manger lowly

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:51 am

I sang this hymn at St. James in Wilkinsburg PA in the 60s. there was a humming interlude that was so purely the sound of children, that it has stuck with me for over 45 years.
annie44

In a manger lowly

Post by annie44 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:32 pm

To those seeking "In A Manger Lowly", you must have been taught by the Sisters of St. Joseph out of Baden, Pa. I believe a Sister there composed it. It was always sung in our Church, St. Charles, in Donora. I was looking for the music myself. Has anyone found it?
annie44

In a manger lowly

Post by annie44 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:52 pm

To all those hunting "In A Manger Lowly", I found it. Guess I wasn't the only one looking for it. You can order a CD from the Sisters. I don't knoe if the price is the same, but it was 12.50 including postage.
Sisters of St. Joseph
Development Office
1020 State St
Baden, Pa 15005

In a manger lowly

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:10 am

Thank you! I have been searching for this hymn for years. I used to sing it as a child at Christmas masses when a student at St. Catherine's School in Beechview in Pittsburgh Pa in the 1940s. My parents and other relatives just loved it.. There was a sweet innocence about the children's voices when singing this hymn that I will never forget. (We were taught by the Sisters of St. Joseph).

In a manger lowly

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:38 am

My Mother's cousin, Sister Victoria, composed this song. She was a Sister of St. Joseph, Baden Pa. The above information is correct by annie44. thank you for posting this. I will order it also.

In a manger lowly

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:01 pm

That's it!
The person who posted 'in old Judea' on Dec 24, 2010
Yay
I sang this in the choir in the '60's at St Patrick's Church in Gainesville Fl
Loved this song.
Sang it to a priest in Atlanta Ga last evening to see if anyone knew it.
So relieved that my brain didn't imagine this as I couldn't find it anywhere until
This blessed poster

In a manger lowly

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:39 pm

Thank you all for your memories and interest in "In a Manger Lowly." This year, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Baden, Pa., celebrated the 100th anniversary of the copyright of the song. Sister Victoria Martin, who was blind, composed the song, originally titled "Christmas Carol" and Sister Ambrose Padden, who was known for her poetry, wrote the lyrics.

The sheet music found its way into schools where sisters taught thousands of children in the dioceses of Pittsburgh, Altoona-Johnstown and Greensburg and Columbus, Ohio. During music classes, the sisters introduced children to the song, which became a standard selection at Christmas Masses.

The song's popularity began to surge in 1961 when the Sisters recorded "In a Manger Lowly" as the signature song on a Christmas album featuring 100 voices of novices and postulants.

To learn more about the song, order a commemorative CD or request the sheet music, visit: https://friendraising.donorpro.com/campaigns/349.