A very hard to find song for me - The Prodigal Son

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
steveliu
Site Admin

Post by steveliu » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:53 am

I believe this song "Rejoice! Rejoice!" was by Moose Smith. The first stanza went something like this:

The day has come, the day for which I've wept and prayed;
The time to shout--my joy has now arrived;
My son's come home--his face on the horizon, and
My joy is full because he is alive--
Alive! Alive! Alive!

Rejoice! Rejoice! My son is coming home again,
Rejoice! Rejoice! Go kill the fatted calf;
Rejoice! Rejoice! My son is coming home again,
Rejoice! Rejoice! Rejoice on his behalf.

I can't find the lyrics to the second stanza, but hopefully this helps a little.

God bless,
Steve

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:55 am

Hello. The song, Rejoice, Rejoice MAY have also been done by Moose Smith but the song I heard in the 70's with these lyrics was by Henry and Hazel Slaughter.

Wonderful Christian couple. Still alive, in their 80's I believe. Alas, other than the LP, it was never released on either cassette or cd. I found this out directly from Henry Slaughter sometime back...

Saigon Surfer

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:52 pm

I have the album and wish it were on CD The album is called "Rejoice with Henry and Hazel Slaughter" it was released in 1977 by Heartwarming Records in Nashville. It contained:

Side 1
Let's Sing Praises to Jesus by Henry Slaughter
I Feel so Good About Jesus by David Redman
I'm Saved and I know that I Am by Ralph Goodpasteur
The Name of Jesus by Bill Lakey
Oh, What a Precious Name by Linda Barker
Because He Is by Wes Helm
I Want to Thank You Jesus by Don & Jane Marsh

Side 2
Rejoice, Rejoice (The Return of the Prodigal) by Stephen Smith
Trust Him, Because He Loves You by Walt Mills
I Will Rejoice in the Lord by Henry Slaughter
Blessing After Blessing by John Stalling
Lift Him Up by Reba Rambo
Lift Up Jesus by Bill & Gloria Gaither
Let's sing praises to Jesus (reprise) by Henry Slaughter

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:27 pm

I also am looking for that one. "I do not understand why you raise such a racket, just because that kid has come back home.. lest you forget. I was the one who put myself together and didn't run..." That's IT right? [email protected]

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:10 am

I am looking for the song that goes like this:

I can hear my father saying go and kill the fatted calf spread the table, Then go and tell the singers to prepare to sing the welcome song, Then go and get the finest robe of sable, ?????????????????????????????????

Its over now, Its over I am going home, Its over now it won't be long ???????

If anyone got the words I woul;d love to have them

Thanks,
Dean Milley

[email protected]

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:20 am

looking for the song "trust Him or Because he loves you by walt Mills
[email protected]

Post by Guest » Mon May 04, 2009 2:31 am

The song 'Rejoice, Rejoice' by Henry and Hazel Slaughter was released in 1977 on Heartwarming on Cassette tape. The name of the tape is "Rejoice". Someone earlier on this string said it was only released on LP. As we all know, cassettes held up better than albums in most cases, so it is good to know that it was on tape as well as vinyl. I am sitting here looking at my copy of this tape right now, so I know it was on cassette. If you are truly interested in getting a copy, look for 1977 Heartwarming cassette C9453; Henry & Hazel Slaughter, Rejoice. Good Luck

Post by Guest » Fri May 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Hi Dean Milley
I recall that song from a few of Jimmy Swaggart's albums. I used to have it in one of his songbooks, but it wore out many years ago.
These words are as close as my 'old' memory can get. Hope they help. Exact words MAY not always be critical, cuz we're always after the message in the song, too?
Clayton
----------------------
When I look back to yesterday, and upon the many years I wasted. And I think about the many nights of hunger I spent out in the cold.
I remember warming by the fire, at Father's house, the food and how it tasted. Thinkin' bout the life I'm leading, is needing love and love's back there at home.

Chorus
It's over now. Its over I'm going home. It's over no,w it won't be long The prisons of my past, couldn't hold me I'm free at last. My Father I see Him now, waiting for me. It's over now.

I can almost hear my father saying, go kill the fatted calf and spread the table. Then go and tell the singers to prepare to sing the Welcome Song. Then bring the finest ring of gold, and with it, bring the finest robe of sable. To place upon the cold and weary shoulders of my child, he's coming home.

Chorus
It's over now. Its over I'm going home. It's over no,w it won't be long The prisons of my past, couldn't hold me I'm free at last. My Father I see Him now, waiting for me. It's over now.
--------------------
I'll see if I can also send these to your email through the link above.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 am

when the prodical son retuned home again with no shoes on his feet all battered by sin his fathered looked down that long dusty road and he broght a ring and the very best robe
son go kill the calf his father did say there penlty to eat the table is spread
my son who was lost hes back home again for he has grown tired of living in sin
and i'll say to my father im not worthy you see but if you let me come home ill be a servant for thee ive lost all i have and im hugury and cold and he said my child welcome back to the fold
son go kll the calf his father did say theres plenty to eat the table is spread my son who lost is back home again for he has grown tired of living in sin
godskids

Post by godskids » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:38 am

[g] a prodigal son once [c] strayed from his [g] father
To travel a land of [a] hunger and [d] pain
And [g] now I can see the [c] end of my [g] journey
I'm going to [d] heaven a-[g] gain.

I leave you the day, to help all your neighbors
I leave you the night, to solemnly pray
So try to repent and ask for forgiveness
We'll meet up in heaven, someday.

Goodbye to this world, with all it's sorrows