Looking for song "I'll take Jesus (for mine)"

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").
soulsearcher

Looking for song "I'll take Jesus (for mine)"

Post by soulsearcher » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:05 am

I've done a lot of google and YouTube searching, but none of the songs are what I'm looking for. The version of my song is more upbeat than most of what I found. I remember singing it in the choir, and I really wish I could hear it again. This was in the 2000s, maybe reaching to 2010. My church choir liked the more old-timey gospel songs, sang a lot Mississippi Mass Choir/Georgia Mass Choir/Chicago Mass Choir tapes. There is the leading soloist and then the choir.

The chorus goes:
Solo: I'll.. take Jesus.. for mine
Choir: I'll taake Jesus!
Solo: He's always with me, all the tiime
Choir: All the tiiiiime! OOOOOOOh oooooh OOOOOOOOh..
And as the choir sings ooooh, the solo sings a quick line or two, I believe it ended in "my cross He helped me to bear." Not entirely sure of the words. And then,
Choir: I'll take Jesus for miiiine

In the last parts of the song, the choir repeats "I'll take Jesus!" over and over as the soloist sings, like a back and forth. Like this:
Choir: I'll taake Jesus!!
Solo: You can't have my Jesu-
Solo: something something something something
Solo: and He something something something

Thanks.