When lamps are lighted in the town, the fishermen at sea

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:39 pm

Loads of memories ! We used to sing this 40 plus yrs ago at the Orchard Infant School in East Molesey Surrey

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:45 am

I sang the first two verses of this song in Coteford Primary School in Eastcote, Middlesex. I have always remembered the words but never heard it since until now! I think the lovely teacher who taught it to us was called Mrs Stark.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:01 pm

I have been looking for this hymn for years, I too loved it at Primary School at Stainton Grove, Barnard Castle in the 1960'sl. Thank you all, now all I need is the tune.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Also sung regularly at Riverdale Junior School, Redcar

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:36 am

Found myself humming the tune on the ferry back from Dubrovnik to kolocep island late last night. Wonderful how something triggers a memory from primary school assemblies of the 70s . It was my favourite at ChristChurch school Downend Bristol and was in the Gloucestershire county hymn book .Ruth

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:50 pm

I love this hymn too but only remember the first couple of versus. I think we use to sing it in rounds too.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:00 pm

The headmaster Mr Gradwell's daughter stood in for him one day and taught us the hymn at Shrubland Street Primary school Leamington Spa. I love it and still remember the words.Cynthia

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Cannot believe so many people like me love this song,i use to live at Peppercombe ,quite near Appledore in North Devon and my gran use to sing it when I was little and I made a little alter on the beach when I was very young and sang this song all the time, expect it was because my whole family were fishing mad!I was looking for it because I want it sung at my funeral(hope a long......,time in the future )but wanted to put it safe with my will so very very pleased to find all the words as forgot some of them. Big Thank You.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:53 pm

Oh my goodness, the memories the words of this hymn brings back. We sang this regularly at friarage primary school, scarborough in the 1960s. It was my favourite. My dad was a fisherman. I wonder if the children there still sing it now and think about their dads out at sea. Lynne.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:20 am

Love this song - so many memories of infant/junior school.