When lamps are lighted in the town, the fishermen at sea

This is where you can post a request for a hymn search (to post a new request, simply click on the words "Hymn Lyrics Search Requests" and scroll down until you see "Post a New Topic").

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:31 pm

Sang this in the late fifties at Chaulden primary school, Hemel Hempstead,
to a lovely tune. The words were on a chart on the wall, operated by a pulley!

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:21 am

Remember singing it at Chater Infants School Watford in the early 1960s! Now seeking the words so my daughter can teach it to her reception class. Thank you all x Judy

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:04 pm

Can't get the tune to play. Such a shame. I wanted to share it with friends in Northumberland, used to sing it at Infant school inBeckenham.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Thank you for the memories, we used to sing this as the evening hymm on a Friday afternoon before going home. Didsbury Rd school Heaton Mersey Stockport.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:45 am

Thank you so much! This hymn has haunted me benignly and emotionally since I sang it in assembly with the other children at Errington School Marske-By-Sea in 1961. I can remember the tune to this day. Thank you Mr. Penstone and thank you www.namethathymn.com. [email protected]

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Jut found this thread - it was one of my favourite hymns too.
The music is in the 1931 edition of 'Songs of Praise' (as used in many schools in the mid 20th century) edited by Percy Dearmer, R. Vaughan Williams) and Martin Shaw, and it's at number 378.
You should be able to get a copy secondhand (or possibly even new from OUP). Make sure you search for the 'Enlarged edition with music' e.g. at http://tinyurl.com/gnq9paw

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:12 pm

I remember singing this at Micklethwaite first school at crossflats in Yorkshire. So many cosy memories.

Post by Guest » Sun May 14, 2017 11:53 am

Steve, thank you so much. I am now a Methodist minister at wesleychester.co.uk
I've been asked to speak at a group who would like to hear about hymns which have been significant in my journey and this is my first choice from my childhood at Broadway Methodist, Cullercoats in the 1970s. I'd been racking my brains and had come up with verse 2 and could search! Thank you. God Bless Christine

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:04 pm

Sang this at Carlyle Infant School in Littleover, Derby, in the late 70s. Memories...

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Thank you for this thread, at didsbury road school heaton mersey ..stockport, we used to have a short evening assembly on a Friday in the late 1950' at the close of the school week, this was often chosen by the super headmaster denis crumpton. .always wanted the words, it was never sang in my local methodist church....thank you all do much